Director of Public Policy
The Director of Public Policy for the James Dobson Family Institute’s (JDFI) Policy Center will lead the effort in upholding the mission to provide families with a biblical context and appropriate response to the current events and legislative measures that impact the institution of the family and culture. The Director will work closely with the president and executive team to develop policy initiatives and timely commentaries to help parents and families take a more active role in their civic responsibilities.
- Represents the JDFI Policy Center at events, public speaking, and media outlet appearances as requested.
- Contributes toward the monitoring and evaluation of ongoing legislative and judicial cases involving any and all family-related topics core to the ministry.
- Works with the communications team to develop public statements relating to such topics as marriage, parenting, pro-life, religious liberties, gender/sexuality, school choice, and other core ministry-related topics.
- Contributes to a public policy blog and content development, including white papers, OpEd articles, etc.
- Develops a periodic podcast that will provide a summary of the top policy issues impacting families.
- Co-hosts as requested in policy-related broadcasts.
- Works closely with the executive leadership in the development of short-term and long-term Policy Center initiatives and planning.
- Contributes content toward social media releases to include both written and video-based content.
- Works with the executive team to develop policy-related educational tools and curriculum.
- Develops a network of local legislative relationships that help educate both legislators and families on key policy issues, at both state and federal levels.
- Maintains a working relationship with other like-minded policy entities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by executive leadership.
Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ; maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of the ministry; adheres to the Standard of Moral Conduct, Lifestyle Statement, and Statement of Faith; upholds the ministry in prayer; demonstrates behaviors aligned with the organization’s core values.
Self-disciplined, self-motivated, flexible, approachable, teachable
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, History, Government, Social Sciences, Economics, or related field preferred.
- Juris Doctor degree preferred, or equivalent policy-related experience in a similar role.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in public policy, legal, policy analysis, government relations, or a related field preferred.
- Strong alliance with mission and vision of JDFI required.
- Exemplary character and demonstration of a consistent Christian testimony, both in public and in private.
- In-depth knowledge of constitutional and family law, as well as legislative and policy-making framework and process.
- High level of professionalism, maturity, integrity, initiative, and self-motivation.
- Excellent research capabilities and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
- Flexibility to respond to changing work assignments quickly and accurately.
- Demonstrated potential for growth and increasing responsibility.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office environment with standard office equipment such as computers, filing cabinets, fax machines, and copy machines
- Interacting with others for information gathering, training and feedback
- Ability to lift files, open file cabinets, and bend or stand on a stool or step-ladder
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Availability and ability to travel as required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must have the abilities or aptitudes to perform each essential function proficiently with or without reasonable accommodation. The ministry is a dynamic work environment where positions evolve and change. Therefore, the ministry reserves the right to modify, delete, or add job duties, responsibilities, and skills that are stated in this job description at any time.
Job posted: 2019-04-06