Director of Regulatory Affairs
Washington, DC/Plymouth, MI
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
● Lead the establishment or revision of regulatory compliance strategies to ensure compliance with international, federal, state and local laws and regulations, including FMVSS, FMCSR, TREAD Act, Clean Air Act, CARB and similar programs
● Anticipate, identify and influence new legislation, policy or regulations that may help or hinder Rivian’s mission and introduction of EVs generally
● Provide legal interpretations on existing laws and regulations applicable to Rivian products and facilities
● Support product development, homologation, quality, compliance, and in-field performance review
● Support investigations of any in-field product performance issues
● Support communications and interactions with regulatory agencies at international, national, state and local levels
● Cross team with various Rivian teams, including Homologation, Legal, Corporate Strategy, Engineering, Manufacturing and others to ensure not only compliance but the methods by which Rivian can proactively utilize laws and regulations to support EV proliferation
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
● A minimum of 5 to 8 years of regulatory experience in government, corporate in-house and/or with a large law firm dealing with laws and regulations impacting the automotive industry
● Familiarity with transportation, energy and environmental legal and regulatory issues
● A thorough understanding of transportation policy and regulatory processes
● A proven track record of leadership and autonomy in a fast-paced and dynamic atmosphere with the ability to work cooperatively with a diverse group of partners and stakeholders both internally and externally
● A track record of superior accomplishment and ability
● A strong work ethic and “can-do” spirit
● Demonstrated ability to multi-task on diverse issues simultaneously
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Juris Doctor (JD) degree
● Willingness to travel (as much as 50%)
THIS IS WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
● Direct experience in automotive regulation in the electric vehicle area, including direct work on autonomous vehicle regulation at the federal, state and international level.
● Direct experience addressing electric vehicle quality, product integrity, or external investigations (e.g., crash investigations) at a federal or international level.
● Prior experience working in the automotive industry in legal or engineering.
● Demonstrated capability in multiple regulatory disciplines (e.g., NHTSA, IIHS, EPA, FCC, ATF, DOT).
● Direct experience with a technology start up organization.
● Familiarity with more than a single country’s laws and regulations impacting the EV industry (U.S., Europe, Asia).
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Location: Plymouth, MI or Washington, D.C. area
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-08