Legislative Affairs Manager
The Legislative Affairs Manager (Manager) represents the interests of the Wireless Infrastructure Association (WIA) before the U.S. Congress. Reporting to the Head of Legislative Affairs, the Manager serves as one of WIA’s registered lobbyists, responsible for building and maintaining relationships on Capitol Hill and with the broader Washington, D.C. policy community to support and promote WIA’s legislative agenda. This position is responsible for all aspects of legislative development; including analyzing, summarizing, and providing input on current legislation as well as developing legislative solutions that align with the organization’s policy priorities. These responsibilities also include working within a team to develop the organization’s federal legislative strategy. The Manager also attends political events and works with relevant WIA members and committees.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can move fast, with empathy and a sense of humor. This role will involve managing the needs of both internal and external stakeholders. The Manager has strong congressional relationships, excellent communications skills, and experience working with various stakeholders in Congress.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with members of Congress, congressional staff and other policy professionals in Washington, D.C. in support and promotion of a comprehensive legislative agenda;
- Identify, craft, execute and oversee policy campaigns to implement WIA’s federal legislative agenda in collaboration with colleagues;
- Effectively communicate WIA policy to members of Congress and their staff so that WIA-supported legislation is enacted, and other legislation can be modified to more clearly match WIA policy;
- Identify and recommend opportunities for WIA appearances before Congressional committees, caucuses and conferences, forums, and press events as a means of advocating WIA policies;
- Draft written materials for use with internal and external audiences to support WIA’s policy agenda;
- Plan and execute educational events for congressional staff featuring policy experts;
- Assisting with regulatory agenda as needed;
- Public speaking as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Essential Training/Certifications
- 2-5 years of policy, government relations, advocacy or other relevant experience; Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred;
- Experience working with or knowledge of the telecom and technology sector preferred;
- Experience developing and implementing legislative campaigns and advocating policy positions to internal and external audiences;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Essential Skills/Knowledge:
- Strong analytic and communications skills, able to articulate complex concepts in a concise and compelling manner;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, team environment with tight deadlines;
- Exceptional presentation and public speaking skills, written and verbal, to a variety of audiences;
- Showcase strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills;
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative team and to work independently; a self-initiator, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility.
WIA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.
Interested qualified applicants please submit a resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Manager of Legislative Affairs, Last Name, First Name”.
Job posted: 2019-04-29