Manager, Public Policy
We are looking for a Manager, Public Policy, who will report to the Director, US Federal Public Policy and work in our Washington, DC office. The Manager will have the responsibility to help develop and execute public policy and advocacy priorities on STEM and computer science (CS) education issues before Congress and relevant stakeholder groups. The Manager will help represent Amazon before Congress and other relevant federal agencies, to establish, enhance, and preserve key Amazon corporate relations with Members of Congress.
In helping to set the public policy and advocacy agenda, the Manager will work collaboratively and transparently with others in public policy, business units, and legal to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Manager will assess and communicate potential government activities back to the business and develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions. In addition, the Manager will be responsible for promoting Amazon’s customer-centric approach before federal policymakers and with stakeholders on issues related to STEM/CS.
As appropriate, the Manager will work with others on the public policy team to facilitate high-level meetings between executives and key stakeholders within relevant federal agencies to promote and advocate the company’s policy and regulatory objectives. The Manager will work with others in public policy and the business units to determine, maintain, and staff appropriate industry associations and standards bodies.
The ideal candidate will possess a broad exposure to issues related to STEM/CS education. The individual will have a keen understanding of federal priorities in this space, including federal education grant programs. The candidate will have a strong professional network, understanding key federal, state, and local stakeholders engaging on these issues.
Key Strategic Objectives
Working in coordination with Amazon’s public policy team, the Manager, Public Policy, will work to obtain and maintain policy flexibility for Amazon’s STEM/CS education priorities, and will represent Amazon on these issues.
Focus and Deliverables for first 12 Months
· Work collaboratively and transparently with Amazon’s public policy team to ensure alignment between core business priorities and public policy goals.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves.
· Ensure Congressional awareness of Amazon’s STEM/CS education efforts. Start to effect change and drive policymaking that will ultimately benefit our customers. Help manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
· Help determine and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations and political organizations, and help ensure appropriate utilization of outside technical consultants.
· BS/BA required
· 5+ years of relevant experience working on STEM/CS education issues.
· Strong understanding of the legislative process and the various committees covering access to STEM and computer science education.
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
· JD or Advanced Degree not required but would be a strong plus
· Demonstrated ability to understand how language in legislative or regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations, identify business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal customers
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry
· Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures
· Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others.
· Strong judgment/decision-making skills.
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-09-14