Manager, Public Policy
Please Note: Thank you for your application and interest in United Way Worldwide. These uncertain times have disrupted our workflows and extended many application review timelines. Our promise to you, the candidate, is that we will contact you once there is an update on the position/s for which you applied. Thank you for your patience.
The Manager of Public Policy will be responsible for the overall execution of state and local policy and advocacy initiatives, specifically focused on civic engagement, nutrition assistance and healthcare. The Manager of Public Policy will be responsible for building the capacity of state and local United Ways to advocate on these issues by coordinating trainings and webinars, organizing advocacy campaigns and calls to action, planning virtual and in-person Hill Days, and providing guidance and advocacy toolkits and materials. The Manager of Public Policy will also be responsible for government relations activities and coalition building as appropriate to assigned issues. The position is temporary for the duration of the grant deliverables through May 2021.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
The Manager position will be responsible for executing on the deliverables for two short term advocacy grants in partnership with the Senior Director of Public Policy and Health Policy Director.
The 2020 Census Outreach Grant to support the United Way US network to Get-Out-The-Count engagement activities with target deliverables completed by December 2020 will include:
- Providing virtual trainings and webinars to state and local United Ways on how to conduct the get-out-the count
- Organizing social media and public awareness campaigns for United Ways and supporters
- Coordinating with national census partners and coalitions on virtual events and campaigns
- Supporting United Ways in low census response-rate communities in targeted outreach and community organizing
The Health and Nutrition Assistance Advocacy Grant to support engagement activities with the United Way US network to increase Medicaid FMAP and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits as part of the COVID pandemic and on-going economic crisis. The target deliverables completed by May 2021 will include:
- Developing messaging and supporting collateral materials on Medicaid FMAP and SNAP
- Producing virtual training content for Medicaid FMAP and SNAP
- Supporting targeted UW State Organizations to facilitate virtual meetings with Members of Congress
- Developing and executing call to action campaigns using social media, email and sign on letters with the US Network to advocate for Medicaid and SNAP
Minimum requirements include:
- At least 2-4 years of in a similar role or 1-2 years’ experience in government relations at the Federal, state or local level, and experience in social media advocacy campaigns.
- Strong consideration will also be given to those who have worked in policy for United Way at the state or local level or a similar nonprofit advocacy organization.
- Requires working knowledge of Medicaid and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Requires advanced knowledge of social media platforms and advocacy campaigns
- Requires advanced public policy knowledge, skills and abilities
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Requires the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Requires excellent project management skills
- Requires excellent Microsoft Office Suite skills.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE:
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Approved by the United Way U.S.A. Board of Trustees on March 6, 2019.
Learn more here
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.
Job posted: 2020-07-06