Manager, Regulatory Policy
The American Academy of Dermatology is seeking a Manager, Regulatory Policy located in our Washington, D.C. office Location responsible for overseeing and managing the Academy’s activities in regulatory policy development, with a focus on skin health, skin cancer prevention and detection, and access to medications. Evaluate the impact of proposed Federal Health and Human Services (HHS) regulatory changes and developments on the practice of dermatology, including but not limited to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Office of the Inspector General (OIG), Government Accountability Office (GAO), and Institute of Medicine (IOM). Monitor and analyze regulations across Federal agencies emanating from Federal legislation such as the Sunscreen Innovation Act (SIA), Drug Quality and Safety Act (DQSA), the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act of 2007 (FDAAA); and the Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act (FDASIA). Monitor, analyze, and advise on strategies to influence proposed and existing regulations. Develop relationships with individuals outside of the Academy and strategies to work with influential non-regulatory groups, such as the U.S. Pharmacopeia and the American Medical Association, to further regulatory objectives.
The American Academy of Dermatology (Academy), founded in 1938, is the largest, most influential, and most representative of all dermatologic associations. A sister organization to the Academy, the American Academy of Dermatology Association is the resource for government affairs, health policy and practice information for dermatologists, and plays a major role in formulating policies that can enhance the quality of dermatologic care.
With a membership of more than 20,746 physicians worldwide, the Academy is committed to: advancing the diagnosis and medical, surgical, and cosmetic treatment of the skin, hair and nails; advocating high standards in clinical practice, education, and research in dermatology; and supporting and enhancing patient care for a lifetime of healthier skin.
To learn more about the Academy please visit our website at www.aad.org, or follow us on these social media outlets:
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/aadskin)
- Twitter (www.twitter.com/AADskin)
- Pinterest (www.pinterest.com/AADskin)
- Instagram (www.instagram.com/aadskin1)
- Working with other staff and members, analyze and interpret information and trends in regulatory policy related to dermatology. Draft policy positions and recommendations for action/development of resources where appropriate. Formulate issues and facilitate timely input by key dermatologists. Develop responses to regulatory developments.
- Ensure dermatology input throughout the regulation process; analyze proposed and final FDA regulations, evaluate OIG/GAO/IOM reports, and consider relevant legislation to determine impact on the practice of dermatology; develop comments or testimony on relevant topics.
- Present at related meetings as appropriate regarding regulatory policy issues and trends. Participate in development of communications and resources for members.
- Work with outside organizations to promote the Academy’s regulatory priorities, including developing relationships with staff.
- Provide overall staffing and liaison services to assigned council, committees, and task forces in conjunction with the chairs of these organizational groups. This includes drafting meeting agendas, coordinating meetings and conference calls, drafting programs/strategies to be discussed on the agenda, drafting and distributing summation reports, tracking follow-ups, assisting with developing and monitoring the committee budget, and ensuring annual reports are complete. The staff liaison will work with the chair to assure the business of the committee is accurately recorded and placed on the appropriate agenda(s) of the appropriate oversight committee, council, or Board. Staff liaison will develop and maintain knowledge of the committee’s area of expertise and work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers.
- Assist with development of strategic goals that relate to the department and the overall Academy mission. Develop and implement programs to fulfill these goals. Assist in the development of the departmental budget, monitor revenue and expenses, and assist with quarterly variance reports.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in health policy, science, government, or health related field.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, Masters, or other advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum two years’ experience in government affairs or health policy required.
- Requires excellent ability to analyze and communicate effectively key messages verbally and in writing.
- The ability to plan, organize, prioritize, manage details, and monitor own work and projects required. Ability to choose the correct course of action and resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, or procedures is necessary.
- Ability to work effectively with varied people to facilitate the completion of the work by established deadlines vital. Ability to think strategically to ensure the best possible outcomes and Academy approach to an issue.
- Knowledge of regulatory affairs, health policy, health care delivery system and role of medical organizations required.
- The position requires attention to detail and resourcefulness.
- Travel and work outside normal business hours required including frequent evening and occasional weekend work.
We offer a competitive compensation plan and benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life insurance as well as a matching retirement contribution, tuition reimbursement, bonus program, pension plan, paid vacation/medical/personal days, work-life balance, recognition program and casual work environment.
For immediate consideration please apply online at www.aad.org, scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the Employment link. EOE M/F/D/V
Job posted: 2020-08-28