The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the health spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
The Policy Coordinator works with other Managers to plan, develop and direct the implementation of Health Policy strategies that advance SEIU goals for federal implementation of Health Care Reform.This position analyzes legislative and regulatory trends and provides Local Leaders and National Officers with technical support and a national perspective that advances the SEIU’s goals. Focuses primarily on regulatory and legislative work related to SEIU’s commitment to improve the Medicaid Program and Federal Health Care Programs for our members and other stakeholders.
- Conducts research, policy analysis and legislative development related to federal implementation of health care reform..
- Collaborates with Government Affairs on lobbying and federal legislative priority setting on health care reform implementation issues.
- Supports, developes and implements capacity-building initiatives for Locals, including developing, implementing necessary home and community based programs.
- Seeks out and develops allies in support of our SEIU goals related to Medicaid, Medicare and Healthcare Reform broadly.
- Advises SEIU Officers and Division Directors on Healthcare Reform implementation policy issues, including impact of federal policies on home and community based services.
- Represents SEIU in public forums.
SEIU staff enjoy excellent employer-sponsored benefits to include comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision coverage) for employees and eligible dependents; domestic partner benefits; competitive compensation; generous holiday and vacation leave policies; and both a pension retirement plan and a 401(k) retirement savings plan.
Contacts: SEIU Staff and affiliate Staff and other Subject Mattter Experts on policy issues.
Direction and Decision Making: This position reports to the SEIU Healthcare Policy Director and the incumbent works independently.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelors degree in Public Policy, Economics or related fiel. Graduate degree strongly preferred
A minimum of three (3) year of directly related work experience with issue development in a political context and in policy analysis with the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Unions and their issues.
- Policy analyses.
- Issue development in a political context (preferred).
- Working independently and with minimal supervision.
- Managing staff and multiple priority projects.
- Conducting formal research, analyzing data and making sound, logical conclusions.
- Using personal computers, including creating and manipluating data within spreadsheets, databases and on-line research services, for purposes of financial and data analyses.
- Working with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Communicating effectively, both orally and in writing; creating and executing formal presentations and writing advocacy papers.
- Handling and completing multiple projects and meet established timelines.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
Probationary Period: Nine (9) months.
Application Requirements: A resume is required for all applications (and a cover letter (highly recommended). The cover letter should explain the reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of a demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into the applicant’s long-term career plan.
Learn more here
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2020-06-02