POSITION SUMMARY (Basic purpose or primary function of job)
The Policy Director is responsible for developing and helping execute health policy on behalf of the Arthritis Foundation. This position supports both the state and federal program, assisting in strategy, development, and implementation of policy positions, including legislative and regulatory activity. The Director should have the ability to analyze and synthesize legislation and regulatory rules. The Director should be highly motivated, self-starter, possess strong organizational skills, and work well under pressure.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Principal responsibilities or job duties)
- Ensures a strong policy foundation for state and federal policy
- Analyzes and synthesizes legislation and regulatory rules at state and federal level
- Writes and revises position statements and issue briefs
- Represents the AF at health policy briefings and meetings
- Assists in the development and execution of AF health policy events, including Congressional briefings, round tables, and the annual Arthritis Healthcare Forum
- Assists in developing surveys and focus groups for continuous patient data collection; analyzes data and identifies ways to incorporate it into AF materials
- Monitors the state and federal policy landscape for new issues, trends, and updates
- Writes and assists in writing regulatory and legislative comment letters
- Participates in the overall policy strategy and works with each team member and volunteer leadership to set and execute strategy
- Works with other mission and AF department staff to coordinate and execute overall AF strategy
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Health Policy, Public Administration or Government
- 2-4 years of experience working in public policy and advocacy.
- Minimum basic knowledge of federal legislative and regulatory process
- Experience developing and implementing advocacy initiatives.
- Ability to develop collaborative arrangements and strategic partnerships.
- Ability to work interdependently to accomplish goals and outcomes.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND TIME ALLOCATIONS
Strategic Policy Development 40%
Federal Policy Support 30%
State Policy Support 30%
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-20