SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is seeking an enthusiastic Policy Manager to join the Business + Trade Industry Practice in Washington, DC. Representing the majority of our client organizations, the Business + Trade team helps associations create value for the members by delivering strategy and thought leadership, networking opportunities, commerce solutions, education and certification, and advocacy and promotion. The Policy Manager will lead advocacy efforts and manage association communications for two national clients – the National Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies (NALHFA) and the National Association of County Community and Economic Development (NACCED). This position requires the ability to work independently on advocacy issues and engage team members to facilitate successful results.
What You Will Do
- Research, analyze and summarize legislative and regulatory issues impacting the client associations
- Represent the client associations on Capitol Hill, before federal agencies and in industry coalitions
- Monitor state issues and act as a liaison with national organizations of state and local officials (NACo, NAHRO, U.S. Conference of Mayors, etc.)
- Provide staff support to association committees
- Manage and coordinate updates to the associations’ issues management system
- Develop issue alerts and press releases on key issues
- Oversee and coordinate Capitol Hill and agency visits by members of client associations
- Manage association electronic newsletters and updates
- Regularly communicate with association volunteers on industry issues
- Produce and update regular content on client websites, social media, blog posts, newsletters and webinars
- Assist in preparation of association conferences and workshops
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You have a passion for housing finance issues and community/economic development initiatives
- You have the ability to work independently on advocacy issues and engage team members to facilitate successful results
- You exhibit strong interpersonal skills and a focus on customer service
- You possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- You are proficient in time management and organization
- You have the ability to travel up to 10%
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- 3-5 years of experience in government, agency, nonprofit management or related industry, to include experience with housing finance issues, HUD programs (CDBG, HOME Program) and/or tax programs supporting affordable housing and community development initiatives (LIHTC, housing bonds, etc.)
- Web content and social media management experience is preferred
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-07