Public Policy Director
Position Title: Public Policy Director
Supervisor: Executive Director Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Exempt Salary: $75,000- $80,000
This position is responsible for the development and implementation of the Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence’s (MNADV) public policy efforts in close collaboration with the Executive Director, MNADV Board, staff and statewide stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiate, direct, and coordinate MNADV’s public policy agenda and advocacy efforts, including systemic advocacy, legislative lobbying and appellate work.
- Research and analyze local, state and federal public policy issues impacting survivors of intimate partner violence.
- Outline policy positions and solutions that further the organization’s mission.
- Educate stakeholders on the impact of public policy decisions and actions on survivors of power based violence including researching and writing position papers/statements as needed.
- Serve as needed on statewide councils, taskforces and working groups representing MNADV.
- Register as MNADV’s lobbyist in Annapolis.
- Work with MNADV Board, staff, member programs and other stakeholders to formulate annual legislative agenda.
- Initiate, direct, and lobby for MNADV’s legislative agenda.
- Monitor bills and prepare summary reports for internal and external audiences.
- Write testimony and testify at bill hearings.
- Coordinate policy meetings with partners and legislative staff.
- Develop and distribute advocacy materials.
- Work with MNADV Communication Specialist to manage external communications for policy efforts including action alerts, website content, social media and e-newsletter articles.
- Demonstrate commitment to the values of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness.
- Participate in agency-wide events, such as MNADV’s annual Memorial Service, Annual Meeting, and statewide conferences.
- Attend staff meetings and ad hoc meetings as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree required or commensurate professional experience; Juris Doctorate or public policy degree preferred.
- Expertise or demonstrated commitment to working in the field of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and/or violence against women.
- Substantive knowledge of the Maryland legislative process and/or experience as a lobbyist.
- Demonstrated practice in writing testimony, bill tracking, testifying, organizing legislative panels, and building/managing issue coalitions are strongly preferred.
- Experience in representing survivors of power based violence in peace and protective order hearings preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills required. Must be able to work with a broad diversity of professionals.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced office and in Annapolis as needed during the legislative session (January-April).
- Strong organizational and program management skills required.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Must be responsible, reliable, professional, punctual, and flexible.
- Must be able to travel to meetings, and events in DC/Maryland area (post COVID).
- Position is on-site, 40 hours per week.
- Health benefits available.
- Paid holidays. Paid leave is accrued (sick and vacation).
- Reimbursement for national and statewide travel.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
All interested parties, please send cover letter and resume to:
Jenn Pollitt Hill, Interim Executive Director
Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence
3601 Presidents Drive, Suite 300, Lanham, MD 20706 or
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 – $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Currently job is remote due to COVID-19.
Job posted: 2020-10-09