American Bankers Association
Want to work for a great Organization? The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
ABA’s Office of Strategic Engagement is seeking a Senior Counsel to join its state legislation team. The state legislation team supports state law advocacy for ABA members and state associations by providing timely intelligence regarding specific state legislative proposals currently under consideration, as well as holistic information regarding trends, emerging and recurring issues in state law. The team also responds to questions on state banking law and legislation, monitors the activities of national state policy organizations and develops resources on state banking law and legislation. A successful applicant will be responsible for tracking and reporting on state legislation and state law, developing talking points and other advocacy material to support ABA member and state bankers association lobbying activity, engaging with national state policy organizations, and coordinating ABA policy priorities from across the organization with our state-level engagement
- Identify, track and report on priority state legislation impacting the banking industry.
- Respond to inquiries from ABA stakeholders on questions about state legislation and state law.
- Develop state banking law resources including comparative law charts.
- Monitor, engage and influence the activities of national state policy organizations by informing policy debates, engaging working groups, and drafting comment letters.
- Law degree required.
- Ability to analyze state legislation and identify issues relevant to ABA members.
- Ability to effectively communicate information via weekly conference calls, email updates, website postings, comment letters and in-person presentations.
- Ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Candidates possessing a familiarity with banking law, legislative process, and legal research preferred.
Job posted: 2019-09-24