Senior Manager, Public Policy
The Senior Manager, Public Policy, will have the responsibility to develop and execute government affairs advocacy objectives and political priorities for Amazon at the federal level. The Senior Manager will represent Amazon before the U.S. Congress and relevant federal agencies, to establish, enhance, and preserve key Amazon corporate relations with Members of Congress and their staff, Administration officials, and other policymakers.
In helping to set the advocacy agenda for Amazon’s businesses, the Senior Manager will work collaboratively and transparently with others in public policy, legal, and business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Senior Manager will assess and communicate potential government activities back to the business, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions, and help coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives. The Senior Manager will be responsible for effectively educating legislators, key agency officials, and their staffs on related policy issues.
As appropriate, the Senior Manager will work with others on the public policy team to facilitate high-level meetings between executives and key congressional and regulatory stakeholders to promote and advocate the company’s public policy objectives. The Senior Manager will work with others in public policy to determine, maintain, and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in political organizations.
Key Strategic Objectives
Working in coordination with Amazon’s public policy team, the Senior Manager, Public Policy, will work to obtain and maintain regulatory flexibility for Amazon’s products and services. S/he will work closely with the managing Senior Manager, Public Policy, and others, to represent Amazon on various digital commerce and consumer protection related issues before Congress and federal agencies to preserve, establish, and enhance communications with policymakers on issues related to our business.
Focus and Deliverables for first 12 Months
· Work collaboratively and transparently with Amazon’s public policy team to ensure alignment between core business priorities and public policy goals.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves.
· Ensure policymaker awareness of Amazon’s products and services innovations.
· Start to effect change and drive policymaking that will ultimately benefit our customers.
· Help manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
· Help facilitate high-level meetings with key stakeholders, including Congressional, regulatory, industry association, and alliance partners to promote and advocate the company’s public policy priorities.
· Help determine and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations and political organizations, and help ensure appropriate utilization of outside consultants.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will have experience interacting with the House Energy and Commerce and Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committees, and substantive experience or knowledge on issues related to data security, consumer protection, and digital commerce.
A minimum of 8+ years of relevant experience with – and a keen working understanding of – policymaking, including the mechanics of legislative and administrative policymaking process and procedures, effective lobbying techniques, and collaboration with other companies and trade groups. Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through work within government, companies, consultancies, trade associations, or equivalent organizations. Prior experience with steep learning curves, and the ability to effectively communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
A law degree or advanced degree is not strictly required but would be a strong plus.
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across organization and culture.
· Ability to understand how technical language in legislative and regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations, identify business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal customers.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment.
· Hires great people. Develops great people.
· Has relentlessly high standards.
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution.
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team.
· Thinks big and has conviction.
· Is action and results oriented.
· Is highly analytical and structured.
· Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-19