Senior Public Relations Specialist
The American Academy of Dermatology is seeking a Senior Public Relations Specialist located in Rosemont, IL. This position will be responsible for conducting the Academy’s national media and public relations activities, specializing in the promotion of new scientific research in dermatology. This includes, but is not limited to, reviewing, promoting and responding to dermatology-related research; developing news releases, media pitches and key messages, and organizing media activities prior to and during the AAD Annual Meeting and Innovation Academy.
The American Academy of Dermatology (Academy), founded in 1938, is the largest, most influential, and most representative of all dermatologic associations. A sister organization to the Academy, the American Academy of Dermatology Association is the resource for government affairs, health policy and practice information for dermatologists, and plays a major role in formulating policies that can enhance the quality of dermatologic care.
With a membership of more than 20,746 physicians worldwide, the Academy is committed to: advancing the diagnosis and medical, surgical, and cosmetic treatment of the skin, hair and nails; advocating high standards in clinical practice, education, and research in dermatology; and supporting and enhancing patient care for a lifetime of healthier skin.
To learn more about the Academy, please visit our website at www.aad.org, or follow us on these social media outlets:
– Facebook (www.facebook.com/aadskin)
– Twitter (www.twitter.com/AADskin)
– Pinterest (www.pinterest.com/AADskin)
– Instagram (www.instagram.com/aadskin1)
- Monitor current issues/events affecting dermatology and respond to national and local media inquiries for information and interviews daily. Provide counsel on high-profile media inquiries to senior staff and member leadership. Includes providing contact information for dermatologists with a particular expertise, drafting talking points, and coordinating interviews for the Academy president. Establish and maintain relationships with key members of the media. Determine and evaluate the effectiveness of the Academy’s media relations efforts. Analyze this data and make recommendations for the AAD’s future media relations activities.
- Research and write news releases for the Academy’s media events and other programs, as assigned, including the Annual and Summer meetings and SPOT Skin Cancer utilizing AP Style. This includes coordinating the topic selection process, communicating with the physicians, and coordinating physician and Council review/approval. Responsible for the press office and other media-related logistics on-site for the AAD Annual Meeting and Innovation Academy.
- Serve as the departmental liaison to the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Review accepted articles for potential topics of interest to the public and/or the media, as well as articles that may be appropriate for member communications or those that support the Academy’s advocacy and specialty positioning efforts. Develop news releases and media pitches to promote selected articles to the national media and distribute them through the appropriate channels.
- Manage the Academy’s online Media Relations Toolkit, updating content as necessary to reflect current dermatology issues in the news. Develop and distribute the Academy’s Key Messages and update the Academy’s fact sheets. Ensure that information presented in the Key Messages, fact sheets and other Academy communications is accurate and consistent. Coordinate and promote resources for National Healthy Skin Month.
- Contribute to the continued development of the Academy’s strategic communications plan, including assisting with the development and implementation of integrated communications plans for Academy issues such as the specialty positioning initiative. Identify emerging science/research that will impact the Academy’s public, member, and stakeholder communications. Assist the Director and Associate Director with the Academy’s crisis communications.
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans, including media relations and public education components, for the Academy’s integrated communications efforts targeting the public, patients and media, as well as the Academy’s scientific agenda. Work with colleagues in Publishing and Marketing to ensure consistent and accurate branding and messaging across all forms of the Academy’s written and visual communications. Serve as the Communications Department’s liaison to the Science, Quality and Practice Department, and represent the Integrated Communications Division on the core guideline staff stakeholder group.
- Provide overall staffing to assigned council, committees and task forces in conjunction with the staff liaisons and chairs of these organizational groups. This includes drafting programs/strategies to be discussed and reviewed via email ballot, conference call or meeting, tracking follow-ups, incorporating feedback and assisting with developing and monitoring the committee budget.
- Assist the Director and Associate Director with recommending and determining appropriate strategic and financial goals that relate to the department and the overall Academy mission. Develop and implement programs to fulfill these goals. Assist in the development of the departmental budget, monitor revenue and expenses, and assist with quarterly variance reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English or Journalism.
- Minimum three to five years of public/media relations experience preferred.
- Experience with medical/scientific writing required.
- Experience with public and media relations preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Proficient in AP Style.
- Ability to translate science into public education messages.
- Ability to identify and define problems;examine relevant information and choose correct course of action required.
- Ability to consistently complete work accurately and locate the errors of others when required.
We offer a competitive compensation plan and benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life insurance as well as a matching retirement contribution, tuition reimbursement, bonus program, pension plan, paid vacation/medical/personal days, work-life balance, recognition program and casual work environment.
For immediate consideration please apply online at www.aad.org and follow the Employment link. EOE M/F/D/V
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-13