U.S. Public Policy
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
We are looking for someone to enhance Zipline’s federal, state and local policy engagement across the U.S. As a critical member of Zipline’s Legal, Regulatory & Policy team, you will be responsible for advancing aviation and other policy objectives that enable Zipline to operate safely, efficiently, and at scale in the United States.
Key to this role will be gaining an extraordinary command of Zipline’s UAS technology and operations, effectively serving as a primary point of contact with a wide range of external stakeholders, including the FAA, state and local transportation regulators, public officials and their staff, industry associations, and standards bodies.
The responsibilities on day one are big, and knocking it out of the park can unlock an uncommon opportunity to play a central role in architecting and executing the strategy that opens skyways for millions of Americans to reliable, on-demand access essential medical supplies.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design and oversee the strategic approach to U.S. aviation policy objectives
- Develop a firm understanding of the regulatory and political hurdles to commercial UAS operations in the United States and the policy strategies to address those hurdles
- Assume leadership of many of Zipline’s federal, state, and local policy objectives across the United States
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key U.S. federal (e.g., FAA and USDOT) and state (e.g., NCDOT) regulators and industry stakeholders to advance Zipline’s business and operational objectives
- Collaborate with other members of Zipline’s policy and public affairs leadership to help tell the world Zipline’s story and mission to the world
- Lead Zipline’s aviation industry association and standards body engagement strategy globally
- Overhaul Zipline’s regulatory and legislative tracking and lead company engagement in rulemakings and similar regulatory processes
- Manage and execute cross-functional company projects corresponding to key policy objectives (in aviation and beyond)
- Partner with colleagues from Legal, Regulatory & Policy as well as our business, operations, and engineering teams to help Zipline achieve success in novel commercial UAS operations
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- You have significant prior experience working with or in aviation, aerospace and/or transportation policy (in certain cases, candidates with strong relevant experience in other highly-regulated and safety-oriented industries may also be considered)
- You can build and own strong partnership-focused relationships with a broad, diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- You quickly grasp complex technical and regulatory issues and developments and the implications they have on our business
- You are willing to get nerdy and dive headfirst into Zipline’s UAS technology and operations
- You can effectively communicate the “how” and “why” of this complex technology in clear and compelling language (in writing and verbally) to outside stakeholders
- You have the grit, resourcefulness, and resilience to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and regulatory environments
- You think smart, act decisively, and stand together with your teammates
- You believe deeply that access matters and that we can and will provide access to essential medical supplies for every person on the planet
- You have a B.A. or B.S. degree (a law or technical degree is welcome but not required)
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
This role is based out of Washington DC, but we’re open to flexible work options, especially California or North Carolina.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-30