Assistant Manager of Communications
State Employees’ Association of NH, Inc., SEIU Local 1984, the largest union in New Hampshire, is looking for candidates who are outgoing, self-directed, organized, intellectually curious, and driven to succeed to fill the Assistant Manager of Communications position.
State Employees’ Association of NH, Inc., SEIU Local 1984, represents over 10,000 public and private sector workers in New Hampshire, all committed to defending and improving the varied and critical services we provide for our state’s citizens. We work to build a stronger voice for our members.
The Assistant Manager of Communications drafts and distributes information between the union staff and members, as well as between the union and the general public through print, broadcast, and digital media. This individual works closely with the Communications Manager to develop and implement the SEA’s overall communications strategic plan. Other responsibilities include:
- Drafts member communications to participate in campaign activities including sample talking points, press advisories and releases, op-eds, memos, and other materials, as needed and demonstrates versatility in broad range of writing projects.
- Provides basic graphic design support for flyers, website content, and other projects as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media in order to secure earned media opportunities.
- Draft website content and update existing content using WordPress and experience maintaining company website, particularly using WordPress.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of NGP VAN or similar platform and is comfortable with the production process from testing to targeting, with a strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy of messaging.
- Work with Communications Manager to produce digital video content.
Other duties, as assigned.
Benefits: SEIU staff enjoy excellent employer-sponsored benefits to include comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision coverage) for employees and eligible dependents; domestic partner benefits; competitive compensation; generous holiday and vacation leave policies; and both a pension retirement plan and a 401(k) retirement savings plan.
Contacts: SEIU staff and all others related to communication issues.
Direction and Decision Making: Works under the general supervision of the Communications Manager.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Experience: Four years’ of directly related experience in communications with at least two of those years working for an advocacy organization. Experience that would provide the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated superior writing skills
- excellence in quick and accurate theme and message development
- the ability to write quickly, clearly, concisely, and creatively
- excellent oral communication, editing and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with good judgment and handle situations in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Ability to maintain a good sense of humor and pleasant attitude
- Comfortable managing the organization’s social media pages and updating content regularly
- Knowledge of graphic design elements and comfortable collaborating on creative projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite Comfortable working in shared programs such as Google Docs
- Ability to continually develop skills related to the use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices
- Strong commitment to the Local’s members, the labor movement and social justice
- Familiarity with video production and/or broadcast media production a plus
Desired: Strong consideration given to proficient or fluent speakers of a language other than English (Spanish strongly preferred).
Physical Requirements: Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel are required. Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekend days.
Application Requirements: A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-15