Associate Communications Director
The Associate Director of Communications is a member of SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s communications team who works alongside the organization’s Director of Communications to develop and execute SAF’s communications strategy; conduct proactive and reactive public relations about SAF’s work; field media requests; draft communications, talking points, and event marketing materials; and produce and manage SAF’s internal communications, publications and social media. The ideal candidate is an outstanding writer and copy editor with project management experience and excellent knowledge of public relations strategy and execution. Work is remote during COVID-19; however, the position is based in Los Angeles when operations resume.
· Collaborate with Director of Communications to develop and execute communications strategy that builds profile of campaigns and leadership
· Assist the Director of Communications with development of press releases, public statements, talking points, and other communications materials
· Work with the Director of Communications to proactively pitch stories about SAF’s work and events to top-tier news and entertainment outlets
· Market and promote SAF’s events via development of media partnerships and securing coverage among local media outlets
· Assist with media on-site at SAF events
· Ensure that internal description and messaging about SAF’s work is consistent and in line with brand guidelines
· Write content for SAF publications, including SAF’s annual report
· Manage all aspects of editorial and production processes for SAF stories for various publications
· Craft copy for marketing and social media assets
· Required: Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
· Required: Minimum of four (4) years professional experience in public relations, communications, or marketing
· Required: Demonstrated ability to research, write and convey complex and fact-checked information in a variety of formats to a variety of audiences (e.g., media professionals, donors, and other stakeholders).
· Required: Demonstrated copy-editing ability, including working knowledge of Associated Press style.
· Required: Deep understanding of the entertainment industry
· Successful and experienced in drafting media pitches, press releases, news articles and other communications materials.
· Exemplary project management skills.
· Ability to work well with diverse teams and individuals (including internal staff and external vendors)
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and G-Suite
· Self-starter, able to juggle projects in a fast-paced environment.
· Candidates must have skills necessary to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Associate Director of Communications reports to the Director of Communications and at times will work with various department heads on communications about their programs to guide and inform their messaging.
· SAF does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to candidates.
· The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
· Staff members are expected to consciously and continuously promote the mission, values, programs, and impact of the organization when presented with opportunities for participating in membership development and reaching out to personal connections on behalf of SAF.
· This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
About the SAG-AFTRA Foundation
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides vital assistance and free educational programming to the professionals of SAG-AFTRA while serving the public at large through its award-winning children’s literacy program Storyline Online®. The Foundation relies solely on support from gifts, grants and sponsorships to maintain its free programs.
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. The SAG-AFTRA Foundation is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Benefits include: 401K retirement plan; escalating vacation; paid sick, personal days and holidays; and health benefits for employees including medical, dental, vision, flex spending accounts, employee assistance program and life and long-term disability insurance.
Please email your resume and a cover letter outlining why you are a good fit for the Associate Communications Director position to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Job posted: 2021-01-16