Associate Director, Digital Communications
Department: Alumni Relations & Development
The Associate Director, Digital Communications manages and oversees the social media strategy and content for Alumni Relations and Development and executes integrated marketing promotions across multiple digital channels including social platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, WeChat, Snapchat, and other developing platforms) and websites. As the lead social content manager, this position is responsible for the creation and curation of social media content originating in Marketing and Communications and from ARD teams; develops original content for ARD websites to be shared on social channels; articulates key performance metrics and provides data-driven analysis on progress to goals; and establishes and communicates best practices for all official social media platforms used by ARD.
Develop Integrated Digital Marketing Promotions
- Develop strategies and plans for digital marketing programs and promotions across ARD’s digital entities (social media and original content on websites) in support of ARD goals (especially alumni engagement and annual giving participation).
- Develop creative messages and innovative fundraising campaigns appropriate for use in social media platforms.
- Develop and coordinate social media ads and other promotions.
- Measure, track, and report the effectiveness of digital campaigns and develop actionable best practices for improving performance, including engagement metrics and conversions.
Manage the Social Media Strategy and Production
- Develop and update a social media strategy that contributes to the overall ARD Marketing and Communications goals and strategies.
- Manage and oversee the content on the NAA’s Facebook page, Twitter account, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other social platforms, ensuring that the content is fresh, engaging and interactive.
- Nurture, cultivate, and engage NU alumni across various online communities.
- Acquire new fans and followers, and retain existing fans and followers.
- Collaborate with the NAA’s Career Services team to manage the content on the NAA’s group on LinkedIn, and drive participation in the group.
- Serve as ARD’s representative on University-wide social media work groups and meet regularly with the Office of Global Marketing and Communications as well as University schools and units to effectively coordinate social media campaigns.
- Manage and monitor social media analytics and report on progress to internal partners toward the goal of continual growth and adoption.
- Coordinate the use of social media management software and provide access and training to ARD colleagues who need to use the software.
- Travel to ARD events as needed to provide social media coverage, including out-of-town events such as bowl games as well as weekend and night activities such as Northwestern Connects.
- Respond to inquiries and help to monitor alumni sentiment on social.
Write Content for ARD’s Digital Channels
- Update and manage original content on the Northwestern Alumni Association (NAA) website and the giving website.
- Develop and edit content submitted by communication partners across ARD.
- Contribute to online style guide and documentation of digital best practices.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team and internal clients on developing strategies and creative approaches for digital communications.
- Create and maintain social media content calendars, workflows, processes, schedules, and project plans.
- Work with Marketing and Communications team members to establish project timelines.
- Meet with internal clients, assess communications needs, keep clients updated, and ensure delivery to client satisfaction.
- Ensure project solutions meet defined goals.
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with stakeholders throughout the ARD and across the University, including schools and units.
- Add something about: Research and evaluate new platforms; give presentations on social media best practices.
- Supervise the social media student intern.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or a related field.
- Two years of professional experience in writing and editing web and digital content.
- Experience managing branded social media accounts and proficiency with Google Analytics and HTML-based content management systems.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Proven track record in developing successful digital communication solutions.
- Exceptional writing, editing, fact-checking and proofreading skills.
- Ability to define, collect and analyze social media metrics.
- Ability to organize multiple writing projects simultaneously, and to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong portfolio of writing that is clear, accurate, and compelling.
- Ability to write in a voice appropriate to the varied audiences addressed.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with others on a team.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Experience in higher education advancement or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- Seven years of professional experience in writing and editing web and digital content.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Knowledge and understanding of Northwestern University and its organizational structure.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-19