Associate Director, Media Relations
APCO Worldwide’s Washington, D.C., office is looking to hire an Associate Director, Media Relations for our global marketing team. You will be joining colleagues who are open, collaborative, diverse and curious. Clients come to us to help solve tricky problems, create new ideas and campaigns, and connect with others. We believe in the power of communication to affect change and we are excited by purposeful work.
The Associate Director, Media Relations manages APCO’s public profile through the strategic pursuit of media, thought leadership and speaking opportunities among target publications, audiences, and markets.
- Oversee global media and public relations efforts, including developing a global media relations strategy and managing PR initiatives that include placements in print, radio and broadcast media for the organization and its key executives
- Create key messages and themes to best tell the APCO story and support the company’s global marketing and business plans
- Develop relationships with key reporters in business and trade media, manage press inquiries and interview requests, draft company responses in conjunction with company leadership, and conduct pitch calls
- Create thought leadership plan and execute through a collaboration with key staff to develop robust content for placement in traditional and social media, including articles, blog posts, videos, infographics, tweets, etc.
- Identify, coordinate and support speaking engagements for company executives
- Prepare background documents, talking points and collateral materials for speaking engagements for global chairman; CEO; president and managing director of operations; and other key executives as required
- Identify and monitor any emerging or current communications or reputational issues and manage company response in conjunction with company leadership
- Manage internal awareness of media relations efforts to ensure regular information-sharing with staff
- Oversee writing and distribution of company press releases
- Review thought leadership pieces for content, tone, and grammar
- Ensure accurate tracking and reporting of media and thought leadership results
- Serve as a member of the marketing team and contribute ideas; ensure that all deadlines are met, and participate in meetings and conference calls
- Assist with planning and coordination of APCO events (client, sponsorship, internal management meetings and global retreats)
- Conduct research and analyze issues that may impact special projects and company policies
- Make recommendations to Senior Director of Global Marketing and Communication on special projects
- At least 7-10 years of experience in a communications role, campaign and/or Hill experience preferred
- Strong track record of media relations results including some established media relationships and an eagerness to build new relationships with key journalists and media outlets
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Outstanding presentation skills including the ability to engage and position executive leadership
- Solid project management experience, including working with a global team and multiple deliverables
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named “Best Large Agency to Work For” and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please apply here: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oOng9fwk&s=Public_Affairs_Counc
Job posted: 2019-01-24