Associate Director of State Government Relations
The National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) is a dynamic and growing non-profit organization dedicated to research, advocacy, and patient and medical education as we work toward a cure for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and support those impacted by psoriatic disease. Headquartered in Portland, OR, NPF is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual as our Associate Director of State Government Relations, to work in our office in Alexandria, VA. This position will be overseeing the NPF’s legislative and regulatory efforts at the state and local level, including supervising state government relations staff.
- Managing the monitoring and tracking of state and local legislative regulatory and public policy initiatives pertaining to psoriatic disease.
- Identifying the key issues of relevance to NPF at the state and local level and create plans, polices and position statements to support engagement on these issues.
- Representing NPF in state coalitions focused on chronic disease and issues of interest; and presenting at state legislative and local hearings on behalf of NPF and its coalition partners.
- Coordinating engagement with NPF advocates and staff of partner organizations and other members of the chronic disease community.
- Identifying, assess and track issues and health trends; and review and analyze state rules, legislation, regulations and news reports.
- Identifying and developing educational opportunities with legislative and executive officials and staff.
- Overseeing the production of reports, presentations, and legislative updates on state legislative progress; drafting letters, talking points and hearing testimony and editing materials developed by state government relations staff.
- In the Eastern Region and states as assigned, monitoring legislative hearings and bill action, and develop an action plan for NPF engagement in such states. Providing oversight of state government relations manager(s) in additional states conducting similar activities.
- Bachelor’s degree required with 5+ years’ experience, preferably in state advocacy or state government
- Demonstrated knowledge of state legislative and regulatory associations and coalitions
- Experience supervising employees
- Excellent communication skills – writing, editing and speaking; comfort or experience with public speaking
- Must be able to work with and manage volunteers
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness
- Detail-oriented, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and have strong project management skills
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Patience, compassion, desire to help and advocate for people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis
- Ability and willingness to travel as required (During legislative season significant travel, up to 25%, may be needed)
Please forward a cover letter with salary requirement and your resume to: Human Resources, National Psoriasis Foundation, Link: https://www.psoriasis.org/about-us/jobs , 6600 SW 92nd Ave, Ste 300 Portland, OR 97223, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2019-10-09