Associate Manager, Public Affairs
The National Trust for Historic Preservation is the pre-eminent non-profit organization in the country dedicated to preserving historic places and public lands. We are currently seeking an Associate Manager of Public Affairs with some experience in media relations and press management who can help respond to media inquiries, and work with Trust staff to execute media campaigns. Must be creative, an excellent writer, articulate speaker, self-motivated, and able to manage some projects independently. Experience writing press releases, speeches, articles and creating media events is preferred. Digital media, podcast and/or PR firm experience is a plus.
Collaborates effectively with the public affairs senior director to help push forward all public affairs projects, which may include work related to the National Trust’s African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund (AACHAF), our campaign to save Places Where Women Made History, the 11Most Endangered Historic Places, and other key initiatives. Background in media relations is essential, including both traditional and digital PR, with experience incorporating social media elements into media relations campaigns strongly preferred. An interest in or some knowledge of architecture, urban design, landscape architecture and wilderness conservation is also preferred.
- Assists in pitching to media organizations and helps secure placements in major and regional media in top markets to promote the National Trust’s many high-profile projects.
- Develops and maintains media lists, as well as a list of key online outlets and works with them to publicize National Trust priorities.
- Helps senior director create and implement media plans to support the promotion of a defined portfolio of National Trust projects, as assigned.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with specially focused online outlets, including ethnic and Millennial-outlets, especially those involved in urbanism, design, conservation and environmental advocacy, architecture and other related fields.
- Tracks media impressions and public affairs metrics for reporting to donors, philanthropists, foundations and director.
- May be assigned to assist Trust executives in their preparation for speeches, as well as drafting op-eds and other written pieces.
- Meets deadlines, tracks and proactively communicates project status, and maintains frequent and effective communication and collaboration within public affairs and marketing, as to the organization at large.
- Other duties as assigned to assist senior director of public affairs.
- Three years of experience in communications, media relations or public affairs, ideally with an agency or with a national non-profit. Digital media, podcast and/or PR firm experience is desired, as well as experience writing engaging and effective press releases and op-eds and speech drafts.
- Strong communications, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Creativity, initiative, drive and passion for the subject matter is a key factor.
- Strong social media skills and digital public relations experience preferred.
- Effective presentation skills. Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills, as well as strong verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills. Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability or willingness to engage culturally diverse audiences and stakeholders. Memberships or connections within culturally diverse professional, social or community affinity groups preferred.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion. Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment. Ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions required. Able to handle frequently changing and/or unscheduled tasks with accuracy.
- Knowledge of MS Office, presentation software and project management tools; familiarity with media databases like Cision, Excel, Powerpoint, and strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent years of experience) in journalism, communications, public affairs or related field preferred.
- Familiarity with and interest in historic preservation or related topics and/or experience writing for executives a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Some travel required.
Job posted: 2020-10-06