Do you enjoy making complex ideas accessible to a more general audience? Do you love the challenge of developing engaging messaging and exploring new ways of sharing content online? Do you want to raise the public profile of technology issues that are at the forefront of the national policy debate? If you answer yes to any of these questions, this Communications Associate opportunity with the Open Technology Institute at New America (OTI) may be good fit for you.
OTI works at the intersection of technology and policy to ensure that every community has equitable access to digital technology and its benefits, with a focus on ensuring universal access to an internet that is both open and secure. OTI’s staff includes noted experts on multiple issues who work closely with a diverse team of policy experts, technologists, social scientists, and data analysts. OTI is housed within New America, a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. OTI’s work covers a range of internet policy issues, including but not limited to net neutrality, broadband access and adoption, wireless broadband and spectrum, cybersecurity, encryption, government surveillance, internet governance, privacy, and civil liberties.
In this full-time position, you’ll work closely with OTI’s Communications Manager to provide critical support to OTI’s programmatic staff on all external communications activities by drafting content for OTI’s social media networks, editing blog posts, providing writing support, coordinating press releases, and generally supporting OTI’s public presence. Additionally, you’ll assist with live events and outreach activities for both external and internal audiences: high-profile public events with policymakers, private educational events, staff retreats and staff meetings.
Communications Associate Job Functions
- Support OTI’s external communications efforts, including social media, coordinating the sending of press releases, and website maintenance;
- Support writing efforts by staff members;
- Maintain archive of OTI media mentions and wins database;
- Support coordination of OTI event production for external and internal events;
- Coordinate weekly OTI staff meeting;
- Support hiring of communications intern;
- Liaise with other New America programs, including New America’s public interest technology program, as well as communications, editorial, and production team.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees; strong collaboration and interpersonal skills; ability to work well within a team.
- Excellent time and project management skills, flexibility to adjust to changing deadlines.
- Ability to creatively problem solve under pressure and anticipate needs.
- Familiarity with national debates on technology policies especially those related to privacy, digital literacy, freedom of speech online and cybersecurity is welcome but not necessary. Intellectual curiosity required.
- Graphic design skills and knowledge of InDesign is preferred but not required.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience.
- 1-2 years of relevant professional experience.
Salary range begins at $45,000. Salary includes generous benefits and paid time off. To apply: please submit a cover letter, resume and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages maximum) at this link.
Job posted: 2019-03-30