The U.S. pork industry is one of the most dynamic and competitive sectors of U.S. agriculture. From small family farms to large-scale farming operations, America’s pork producers raise pigs with a shared commitment to delivering affordable, quality meat to markets worldwide while caring for people, the environment, animals and communities. The National Pork Producers Council (NPPC) is proud to serve as the global voice for U.S. pork producers and seeks a communications director who can help tell their stories and advocate for the public policy interests of a $20 billion industry responsible for 550,000 U.S. jobs.
The communications director is based in NPPC’s Washington, D.C. office and reports to the senior director of public relations. We seek a communications professional with exceptional writing skills who can also contribute to other elements of integrated campaigns that engage and influence key stakeholders across a range of issues, including international trade, regulatory, science and technology, and pork production practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Writing and editing across a range of formats, including press releases, public remarks, op-eds and other contributed media content, presentations and other materials
- Serving as editor of NPPC’s weekly and quarterly newsletter to members
- Serving as a secondary spokesperson and supporting media outreach and response
- Developing and managing communications campaigns supporting NPPC’s public policy objectives
- Assisting in member communications and providing communications support to NPPC’s state association affiliates
- Managing NPPC’s blog
- Supervising NPPC’s spring/fall/summer communications intern
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A strong writing orientation with 8-10 years of communications experience and strong exposure to other communications disciplines, including strategic planning and messaging, campaign management and media relations
- While not required, communications experience in the following areas is a plus:
- Public policy
- Trade association
- Agency background
- Video production and editing capabilities also a plus
- A genuine interest in agriculture and the role farmers play in strengthening the U.S. economy and rural communities
- A desire to work in a fast-paced environment and an ability to manage multiple assignments at once across NPPC’s full range of public policy initiatives
Requires some travel (approximately 10 percent). Must have a valid driver’s license and passport.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in journalism, communications, political science and/or other related disciplines.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions – Requires light physical effort such as stooping and bending, and occasional lifting of lightweight objects (up to 25 pounds).
Learn more here
National Pork Producers Council Washington, DC Office
Job posted: 2019-02-24