We are seeking an experienced Communications Lead to join our small, dynamic team in Washington, DC, and support our work on cutting-edge governance programmes around the world. The successful candidate will work across all programs of Global Integrity, developing and supporting the implementation of an effective communications strategy. In addition, s/he will work closely with the Global Integrity Anti-Corruption Evidence (GI-ACE) research programme team and support the implementation of a multi-faceted anti-corruption research and policy engagement programme. The Communications Lead will be responsible for creating, managing, and communicating content; messaging; and strengthening the communications skills and capacity of other team members.
Role and responsibilities
The Communications Lead will be based at the Open Gov Hub in Washington, DC, and will report to the Director for Integrity and Anti-Corruption, with an approximate time split of 50% dedicated to the GI-ACE programme and 50% dedicated to overall Global Integrity communications work.
The role requires proven ability to understand complex and nuanced governance and anti-corruption concepts, and the interest and drive to communicate these concepts in clear and accessible language to a variety of audiences in effective ways, making use of multiple platforms and tools. The successful candidate has first-rate skills in prioritizing and spinning multiple plates and is an outstanding collaborator and keen to learn with the entire team, as well as partners around the world, to create and leverage communications products that generate impact.
S/he enjoys setting up, monitoring, and updating content across multiple communications platforms; digging into papers and policy briefs to identify key takeaways; and doing thorough copy editing and basic layout to design effective communications outputs.
- Responsibility for GI-ACE communications work (50%); including managing and guiding communications work and supporting the creation of content and messaging across the programme:
- Thinking through, developing, and implementing important communications aspects of the GI-ACE theory of change;
- Supporting the GI-ACE programme team and its 14 supported research teams (based mainly in universities around the world) in implementing and fine-tuning their communication strategies and outputs;
- Identifying relevant communications opportunities and creating, placing, and communicating content and messages; and
- Testing formats and platforms, tracking use and uptake of communication products, and reflecting with partners on the usefulness and impact of the GI-ACE programme outputs.
- Responsibility for Global Integrity communications (50%); including by managing the organization’s communications work and supporting the creation of content and messages across the organization:
- Developing and implementing a communications plan and providing leadership for special communication projects;
- Ensuring initiatives and projects are clearly communicated to key audiences;
- Managing and updating content across platforms (website, email) and social media channels on an ongoing basis; and
- Supporting the team in enhancing their communication skills by helping to write/edit blogs and publications and by providing feedback and guidance.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator with solid writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and experience in managing a variety of communications platforms using multiple formats such as podcasts, blogs, social media, video, and traditional media.
S/he has a strong interest in making communications products more effective by strengthening the link between communications products and policy engagement strategies, and by adapting to meet the expectations of key audiences. S/he is open to feedback while also having the patience to help other team members develop their skills. The following factors will strengthen an applicant’s candidacy:
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Deep understanding of the media and communications landscape with a track record of generating and copy-editing communications products used in policy-relevant research (i.e. advocacy products, policy briefs, infographics, etc.)
- Proficiency in communications product design, including layout, graphics, and formal/legal requirements
- Experience in managing and updating content across media platforms, including traditional and social media outlets
- Fluency in English is required; proficiencies in other languages (French, Spanish) is an asset
- Self-starter who is happy to provide a first draft quickly and to iterate multiple times to perfect a particular communications piece on time
- Technologically savvy and / or unafraid to dive into new processes and systems to test and experiment; focused on results in a fast-moving, hands-on environment
- Sound judgment to drive communications initiatives, with excellent skills in stakeholder management, networking, and relationship-building
- Ability to spin multiple plates
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to Global Integrity’s mission
- At least 5 years of writing and communications management experience, with a track record of producing concise and accessible communication products
- Knowledge of governance and anti-corruption concepts, and background in reading and summarizing academic publications
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred
- Right to work in the United States
About Global Integrity
Established in 2005, and based at the Open Gov Hub in Washington, D.C., the Global Integrity team has helped to shape a governance and development agenda which is increasingly about supporting frontline organizations to craft effective solutions to the challenges that they face in their particular contexts. Our vision is of a world in which public resources are used effectively to deliver services, meet people’s needs and reduce poverty in countries and communities around the world. We provide tailored support to governance reformers and change agents, strengthening their ability to address challenges relating to corruption and the use of public resources. For more, please see our newly revised strategy.
About the GI-ACE research programme
The Global Integrity Anti-Corruption Evidence (GI-ACE) research programme supports 14 research projects around the world generating actionable evidence that policymakers, practitioners, and advocates can use to design and implement more effective anti-corruption initiatives. The overarching objective is to support world-class multi-disciplinary research that informs the development of more effective policies and interventions to help reduce corruption and address its negative impact on people’s lives. Global Integrity is in phase two of the Anti-Corruption Evidence (ACE) programme funded with UK aid from the British people. A sister programme is led by SOAS at the University of London.
Compensation and benefits
Global Integrity offers competitive compensation based on experience, skills, and fit for the role. The salary for this role is expected to be between $75k and $90k depending on education, skills, and experience. In addition, Global Integrity provides all full-time employees with a comprehensive and very generous benefits package, including high-quality health, dental, and vision policies, as well as a modest life insurance policy. Global Integrity currently pays 100% of the premiums associated with those benefits. Generous holiday and sick time also are provided. The organization also contributes to employees’ retirement accounts and provides for a transit benefit.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your resume detailing relevant skills and experience with a succinct cover letter setting out your motivation, and two writing samples, one short piece and one longer piece. Applications from candidates who would strengthen our diversity and bring additional perspectives to the team are particularly encouraged.
Deadline for application: open until filled.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Job posted: 2020-05-01