ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. We help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We move members from analysis to action on crucial issues so that we can build the Black political power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Color Of Change was founded in 2005 in response to the realization that during the crisis caused by Hurricane Katrina, as Black people were left stranded on their roofs to die, no one was afraid to disappoint Black people. When the government, media, corporations, and other decision-makers are not afraid of disappointing Black people, Black communities are negatively impacted and cannot move forward.
The Marketing & Storytelling team creates and leads the brand and content strategy necessary to translate and advance Color Of Change’s values, vision, and efforts across a broad set of national influencers and grassroots activists. Through various platforms and mediums, the team is responsible for supporting efforts across the organization to deliver on our main promise: provoking the level and frequency of action from our members and allies that will force target decision-makers to take action, and thereby achieve real-world impact and lasting, systemic change. The team is also responsible for brand management, strategic content development, content distribution, and high-level media relations. Central to the Marketing & Storytelling team’s work is Color Of Change’s Hollywood Culture Project, an initiative designed to change the way Black people (and the issues we care about) are represented in entertainment media and to effectively leverage cultural influencers in support of our campaigns.
Color Of Change seeks a Communications Manager to provide strategic communications support for campaign activities and events. The Communications Manager will be responsible for press strategy, message development, outreach, and engagement and will support special project implementation. The Communications Manager is an important position within the team, perfect for someone who lives in the news cycle, and enjoys developing hard-hitting campaign communications plans. The person will also work closely with the Director of Communications to raise the profile of the organization’s campaigns, staff, and membership through media partnerships and syndicated programming.
The Communications Manager is based out of our New York City or Washington, DC office, and reports directly to the Director of Communications.
Manages the day-to-day earned media programming for key Color of Change Campaigns (50%)
Color of Change campaigns focuses on criminal justice, economic justice, media accountability, government accountability, and more.
- Monitors local and national press for relevant stories
- Writes media advisories, talking points, op-eds, quotes, and press statements for campaign events and initiatives.
- Pitches story ideas and provides information to generate supportive media coverage.
- Responds to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists.
- Develops and maintains media lists
- Builds relationships with beat reporters at key outlets and geographies.
- Prepares and coordinates media opportunities for staff and member spokespeople
Leads communications strategy for key campaigns (25%)
- Participates in weekly and monthly campaign strategy and planning meetings with campaign managers and directors.
- Creates long-term communications plans, goals, and priorities on assigned campaigns.
- Identifies key media moments and work with the team to create newsworthy events.
- Develop short term communications plans for crisis management
- Identify needs for additional communications support at key junctures.
Special project support (25%)
- Writes media advisories, talking points, op-eds, quotes, and press statements for special projects
- Leads press invitations, interviews, and turnout for special projects
This position is ideal for a highly organized, detail-oriented, independent, and deadline-oriented individual with a strong interest in racial and social justice issues who is excited to bring their talents and acumen to bear in a fast-paced, collaborative, and strategic growth-focused environment.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A commitment to Color Of Change’s mission of advancing racial justice and contributing to a less hostile world for Black people.
- Significant media relations experience.
- Previous campaigning experience in a non-profit, labor union, or social justice setting.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit persuasive materials including talking points, op-eds, press releases, and messaging documents on deadline.
- Experience using Meltwater, Cision, or a comparable media-tracking platform.
- Proficiency with Gsuite applications, Microsoft Suite, and other common writing tools.
- Ability to prioritize competing projects and multi-task across teams working across various offices
- Able to work independently in a fast-paced environment, with a proactive approach
- Passionate, energetic and a strong work ethic, with the flexibility to work outside traditional 9 to 5 hours, including weekends
- Commitment to confidentiality and ability to exercise absolute discretion
- Commitment to winning
The salary for the Communications Manager is $72,000, and Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package. This is a full-time exempt position.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should click the “Apply for this position” link and submit a resume and COC-tailored cover letter.
Job posted: 2020-05-14