Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
WHO WE ARE
Since 1981, Families USA Foundation has been a leading national voice for health care consumers. Through our long-standing relationships of consumer leaders, advocates, and partner organizations across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, we have remained steadfast in our mission – Dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable healthcare and improved health for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient-and community-centered health system.
We are looking for a Communications Manager who will effectively manage internal and external communications activities for Families USA across multiple marcomm channels. The ideal candidate for this role is a high-performing, proactive, and resourceful generalist who can execute communications projects using a multi-channel approach to amplifying key messaging in support of issues-based advocacy work —including web content, social media, multi-media, storytelling, and earned media—and who can support FUSA’s well-established media relations platform. This professional will have strong writing and interpersonal skills to support our partnerships team and storytelling activities. The nature of our organization requires that this professional be the consummate team player and have an exceptional comfort level working with strong, mission-driven individuals at various levels within the organization, to be agile in a deadline-driven environment, and to effectively manage competing priorities without sacrificing quality.
Main responsibilities include:
- Plan and manage effective integrated communications projects in support of FUSA publications, events and special projects.
- Write and edit content with various levels of complexity in support of FUSA’s advocacy and mission—from social media and website content, to press releases and statements; to issue-based narratives and blog posts from FUSA research.
- Collaborate and assist with executing media outreach activities, developing media collateral, and maintaining key media relationships.
- Assist partnerships team in increasing engagement and cross-collaborative opportunities with FUSA allies.
- Support the organization’s storytelling program.
- Collaborate with and advise various FUSA project policy teams on best marcomm practices for key advocacy outreach campaigns.
- Maintain a keen understanding of the health industry environment—e.g., key media stories, trends, and major policy issues—and help apply communications strategy.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of, or aptitude for, the latest communications-based software and tools.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior staff and colleagues.
Undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, English, Journalism or relevant field with 5-7 years of progressive experience in public relations, media relations, or strategic communications, primarily with a social justice, policy, and/or a political focus. Newsroom, agency or nonprofit experience is preferred.
To perform successfully in this role, applicant should possess the specific knowledge, skills and abilities outlined below:
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, copy editing and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adopt web-based project management platforms, such as Asana, or Monday.com; communications tools such as Hootsuite or Sprout Social; and/or web-based media platforms, such as Muck Rack, or Cision.
- Actively practice sound judgment and an aptitude for deploying a seasoned and well-balanced messaging approach.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of media news cycles and the media-charged public forum.
- Ability to strategically execute tactics as part of an integrated approach to communications, media relations, storytelling, events, publications, and digital media.
- Ability to manage shifting priorities in a rapid response environment.
- Ability to quickly grasp and articulate the essence of a message.
- Ability to convey solution-oriented, constructive feedback to peers and team members.
FAMILIES USA’S BENEFIT OFFERINGS
We offer a dynamic, empowering, and collaborative work environment that allows staff to reach their full potential. We provide an extremely attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, hybrid work schedule: 3 days in office/2 optional WFH days, medical, dental, vision, disability and life, 403(b) retirement matching plan, 3+ weeks’ vacation, ten (10) Federal holidays and our offices are closed between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day and many more exciting benefit programs. Our salary range for this role is $70K – $80K and will be commensurate with experience.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply online and include in your application: your cover letter, resume and a media sample. This position will remain open until filled. Successful candidates will be contacted for first interviews.
Families USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, results of genetic testing, or service in the military.
Job posted: 2023-09-04