UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest
Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert
research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based
organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels.
For 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground
through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community stronger. For more
information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Communications Manager is charged with elevating UnidosUS’s voice and mission, leveraging
the organization’s involvement in issues such as education, health, criminal justice, the economy,
civil rights and immigration policy, and institutional events. This position requires a dynamic
communications professional who has a passion for working in a team environment to build and
brand the organization as a leader in issues that affect the Latino community.
This position reports to the Assistant
• Develop related media materials including, but not limited to, press advisories and releases,
opinion editorials, letters to the editor, blog pieces, social media content, and more.
• Conduct outreach to media related to upcoming UnidosUS events and press conferences
• Deliver end-of-program reports that recap activities, results and metrics, as outlined in
• Continue to develop and maintain working communication with journalists, reporters,
bloggers, and other members of the media.
• Identify and propose ways to amplify earned media opportunities/placements across
UnidosUS social media and other owned platforms.
• Support and work closely with fellow staff to increase interdepartmental collaboration that
will help to increase the effectiveness of the component’s work to elevate UnidosUS media
• Provide strategic advice and guidance to counterparts in assigned issue areas.
• Work with media to tell the UnidosUS story, highlighting its connection to the community and
Affiliate Network, combat negative stereotypes and misperceptions about the Latino
community, and hone in on the positive work and accomplishments of Hispanics in the United
• Work with programmatic and policy staff within focus issue areas to help promote their work
and get essential information out to the Latino community through media sources.
• Work with the Deputy Vice President of Marketing and Communications and the Assistant
Director of Communications to help track and administer the work of the department
including the production of quarterly reports, the updating of the daily calendar, and the
Communications work plan.
• Conduct (in conjunction with other appropriate Communications staff), media training of
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English or a related field, with 5-7 years
of relevant work experience required.
• Interest in, and general knowledge of UnidosUS/Latino community issues, programs, and
• Must have knowledge of best practices for concise and effective writing and editing.
• Must have experience using content management systems; such as Cision media
• Experience with working with the media, both proactive and reactive outreach that
results in new media relationships, contacts, and placements (general market and
• Knowledge of legislative process and how the news media/cycle works.
• Strong writing and editing skills, including strong knowledge with AP and Chicago style.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to provide responsive,
personable, and informed support to UnidosUS writers.
• Comprehensive fact-checking habits.
• High degree of initiative and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, under tight
deadlines and with minimal supervision.
• Ability to remain an active team member, even while working independently.
• Willingness and ability to travel occasionally.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability preferred.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter and writing sample along with
a résumé will be considered for this opportunity. Please include “Communications
Manager” in the subject line.
SEND COVER LETTER, WRITING SAMPLE, AND
Raul Yzaguirre Building
Attn: Camila Gallardo
1126 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036-
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to
race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a
college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2019-08-25