The Communications Officer is a key member of the Pact team, working closely with staff across the organization to develop and carry out high-quality, effective and timely communications. The Officer helps build the profile of Pact among target audiences and communicating Pact’s story in a compelling and engaging manner.
The role is externally focused and requires a broad range of professional communications skills and experience. The position requires strong skills in writing, editing, media relations, content development and social media. The position also requires working directly with the media and other stakeholders to advance messages in target markets around the world. The right candidate will have the personal qualities necessary to develop strong relationships, engage program staff in intentional communication and support development of new communication approaches and tools.
- Write, edit, re-write, and source information/stories for dissemination via Pact and non-Pact channels to target audiences.
- Partner with program and country teams to create and maintain core documents on Pact’s technical and geographic areas of expertise.
- Develop relationships with journalists at key media outlets; actively pitch Pact experts, programs and content; draft press releases, media alerts and background materials; and prepare Pact experts for media interviews.
- Work with Content Manager to grow engagement across Pact’s social media accounts.
- Collaborate with global communications colleagues to promote Pact’s global work externally.
- Develop and maintain relationships with target influencers and networks to help them discover, learn about and partner with Pact.
- Maintain calendar of key events/conferences/meetings and work with colleagues across the organization to support Pact participation, including pitching Pact’s CEO and other speakers.
- Work with the CEO to prepare for external events and message delivery.
- Help with website updates and ensuring fresh content, including Pact’s online media kit.
- Ensure distinctive and consistent brand identity across all external outputs.
- Monitor and evaluate content performance across distribution platforms against Key Performance Indicators.
- B.A. degree in related discipline.
- 4 – 6 years of experience in communications/advocacy with at least 7 – 9 years of overall work experience.
- Passion, curiosity and motivation for the job and the ability to enthuse others
- Ability and desire to build capacity and share skills across cultures, and work with teams from different backgrounds and across multiple language barriers
- Able to work to tight deadlines in an organized manner and to a high standard
- Ability to collaborate and earn the trust of Pact leaders and staff.
- Innovation and creativity in messages and modes of delivery.
- Social media savvy and high comfort level with digital communications.
- Demonstrate proven ability to recognize and appropriately deal with challenging situations.
- Demonstrate an awareness of, and comfort with, increased social and professional responsibility, working always with cultural sensitivity and respect.
- Knowledge of international development sector.
- M.A. degree in a related field.
- International experience and sensitivities.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and strong project management skills.
- French, Spanish or Swahili language skills desirable, but not required.
Job posted: 2020-11-02