Digital Communications Manager
Digital Communications Manager
The American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR), based in Arlington, VA, is seeking a Digital Communications Manager to manage major aspects of AICR’s communications activities via the website, social media, news media, and online publications. This position develops social media content, web copy, and other written materials and works collaboratively to increase AICR’s visibility. Qualified candidates will offer experience in health communications, website content strategy and development, social media strategy and campaign execution, and management of media list database systems. The ideal candidate will be a talented, detail-oriented communicator who blends email, web, and social media expertise to increase brand recognition and amplify engagement with current and new target audiences. Please be advised that this is NOT a remote position and is required to work onsite in Arlington, VA. *NO RECRUITERS PLEASE*
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In partnership with the Director of Communications, assist in the development and implementation of comprehensive communication plans for AICRIn partnership with the Director of Communications, implement proactive and reactive media strategies, including vetting media requests, writing and pitching press releases and keeping press lists up-to-date.
- Pitch to the press with newsworthy angles to generate positive media attention.
- Support conferences and other internal/external events.
- Assist in leading Cancer Prevention Month campaign by working with the Communications Committee on theme and materials, updating the website, developing the online promotional toolkit, and managing outreach to partner associations.
- Lead efforts to increase brand recognition with specific, targeted communities within our audience often, in conjunction with the fundraising team.
- Lead AICR’s social media efforts by developing editorial calendars and engaging content, planning outreach during campaigns, tracking metrics, reporting findings, and organizing team meetings.
- Assist in the management of the website, keeping current and consistent with branding and messaging standards and strategies.
- Develop and manage content calendar across platforms including AICR website.
- Develop compelling original content across digital and web platforms, and ensure that other communications collateral is current.
- Track and analyze data to help assess progress toward reaching strategic goals, increase audience engagement, and find unique ways to engage followers that advance organizational needs.
- Support email invitations and reminders, donation pages and responses, event pages and responses and surveys via MailChimp in collaboration with the development team
- Produce monthly reports that measure open/click-through rate reports, Google Analytics, social media growth, and other campaign data for monthly reports
- Create and maintain current media lists in contact management software
- Send press releases to relevant media lists and monitor press coverage
- Provide digital support for major events.
- Organize content for and write an initial draft of monthly newsletters.
· Assist in developing new resources for public engagement, including infographics, fact sheets, new topics for monthly alerts, and other engaging content.
- Develop ideas and content for web and email publications and create digital and interactive content (infographics, videos, quizzes, polls).
· Assist in producing videos and photography.
- Interact with vendors such as graphic designers and printers
- Manage communication interns
Education and Experience
- BA or BS in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience with a variety of communications disciplines including traditional media, messaging and content development, and social media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and web content management system.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure while juggling deadlines.
- Superb writing skills with the ability to consistently and quickly produce strong first drafts.
- Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required.
- Must be flexible, highly organized, creative and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including listening and interpersonal relationship communication skills.
- Health communications
- Website content strategy and development
- Communications/media relations
- Social media strategy and audience engagement
If this is you and you are eager to make meaningful contributions to a highly relevant and important mission, please submit a cover letter with your salary requirements, a copy of your resume, and a professional writing sample for consideration.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-18