When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part a growing organization that empowers our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With our outstanding financial performance, leading market positions and the largest investment in innovation in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
How will you make an impact?
The Communications Director will develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy and cohesive plan across a variety of mediums such as online, video and print. The Group Communications Leader will leverage prior experience and best practices to shape a compelling global strategy to include:
- Defining the channels and format of key stakeholder communications
- Reducing complex content and analysis into simple, compelling storylines for employees at all levels in the organization
- Creating digital strategies and digital content that reflect the business’ brand and messaging
What will you do?
- Propose, research, write, produce, and distribute a wide range of strategic and tactical communications; create awareness, excitement, and understanding of business topics, new programs and/or processes
- Proactively lead and execute communication projects and campaigns that align with, articulate and support the Group’s key messages, business priorities and growth initiatives, as well as influence a positive culture and global engaged employee workforce
- Drive new approaches to deliver communications in more creative, efficient, and effective ways by challenging current processes and recommending new approaches
- Develop metrics and processes that help us measure communications impact and reinforce our culture of achievement and accountability
- Develop and manage the Group online community – integrating social, video and other media with the right balance of creativity and practicality
- Create and oversee a communications calendar to reflect real-time distribution of messages
The Communications Director will also report dotted line into the VP of Corporate Communications, and work closely with that team to ensure that proactive work is aligned. In that context, the Communications Director will also be a key member of crisis, acquisition and change management communications as necessary in collaboration with the Corporate Communications team.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or English
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in external and internal communications with a blend of public relations, internal communications, social media (particularly supporting an executive influencer), employee communications, government relations and marketing communications experience
- Variety of relevant business experience which should demonstrate the ability to quickly study a business, understand the value-enablers, and relate to bottom-line impact, executive presence
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to influence business partners and facilitate collaboration and alignment between business and corporate objectives.
- Sound problem solving skills, e.g., ability to objectively analyze current practices, identify root cause problems and improvement opportunities, formulate a range of achievable options, outline relative strengths, build consensus for a preferred solution
- Bottom-line results-oriented, e.g., financial and general business acumen, focused on operational and process improvement to work efficiently
- Effective communication skills, e.g., collaborative open style, working in teams, strong written and oral communicator, strategic thinker with ability to execute plans, calm under fire, go-to person
- Strategic in a practical way, e.g., understand emerging communication trends and ability to extrapolate them to practical business applications
- Candidate will have strong understanding of science and technology with a proven ability to craft messages focused on high level customer benefit based on product and service solution features and benefits
- Proven skills in MS Office tools, especially PowerPoint. MS SharePoint content creation /experience a strong plus
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-01