Position Title: Director, Communications
Location: Washington, DC
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Head of Global Communications
Position Summary: The Managed Funds Association, based in Washington, DC and New York, represents the global alternative investment industry by advocating for public policies that foster efficient, transparent, fair capital markets, and competitive tax and regulatory structures. The MFA communications team advances the overall mission by representing the organization’s position on public policy and shapes how stakeholders view the industry through the press and MFA’s multi-channel communications strategy.
MFA is seeking a team member who can perform across functions to advance our agenda on policy issues and educate the public about the hedge fund industry. The director will work closely with member firms, legal and government relations staff, conference and events staff, and outside consultants to help communicate policy and regulatory matters to the media, as well as external and member audiences.
The ideal candidate is a strong strategic thinker with substantial experience working in a fast-paced communications operation in multi-client consulting, industry, a trade association, or government. A successful candidate should have a proven track record executing public affairs campaigns and driving earned media in national, financial, and regional outlets. The director must be a team player, self-starter, organized, and willing to learn new skills and take on a variety of assignments.
Essential Responsibilities: The Director, Communications will report directly to Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Head of Global Communications; and will perform the following responsibilities:
- Develop and execute communication programs around core initiatives;
- Background press and prepare executives and spokespeople for media interactions and public appearances;
- Strategize new and exciting ways to tell MFA’s story both on owned channels and in the press;
- Respond to media requests, arrange press interviews, assist in writing press releases, op-eds, and statements, pitch journalists, etc.;
- Assist with the development of educational material for key constituencies and develop communication strategies around their distribution;
- Work closely with the senior staff and member firms to develop content (e.g. fact sheets, one-pagers, talking points, etc.) that informs coverage of the industry and educates key stakeholders;
- Serve as an internal liaison with the government relations and legal teams on policy-specific communications initiatives;
- Co-manage MFA’s digital presence, including web, social media, and newsletter assets;
- Develop and maintain internal and external marketing material to ensure consistency of messaging and brand;
- Assist in the compilation and reporting of campaign metrics; and
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience with progressive responsibility in a fast-paced communications operation in multi-client consulting, industry, a trade association, or government is preferred. Financial services industry experience is a plus.
- Experience working with email marketing platforms, and content management systems. Advanced PowerPoint skills are required. Basic website and graphic design skills are a plus.
- Experience executing public affairs campaigns and a track record driving earned media in national, financial, and regional outlets is required.
- Excellent creative writing, editing, and verbal communications skills are required.
- Ability to excel under pressure in a fast-paced environment, implementing last-minute details and changes with confidence.
- Ability to synthesize complex information succinctly and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to self-start, think ahead, problem solve, and engage proactively, as well as work as part of a collaborative team with tact, and creativity.
- Ability to collaborate and build consensus with stakeholders.
- High level of professionalism and attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and ability to efficiently manage concurrent tasks.
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in new projects.
- Demonstrated passion for finance, regulatory and legislative affairs is a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-15