Director of Communications & Marketing
We are looking for a highly experienced Director to lead our Marketing & Communications function. With a keen focus on excellence, our new director will lead the development, implementation, evaluation, and execution of a dynamic marketing and communications strategy. Working across CALSTART, the director will design multi-faceted communications initiatives ensuring that the look and feel of all messaging are consistent and aligned with our key business strategies and mission.
We are looking for someone who enjoys the challenge of capturing the organization’s voice through creative and compelling storytelling while working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and passionate environment.
Ideally, this position will be based in California in commuting proximity to the Berkeley or Pasadena offices.
In this dynamic role, our new leader will:
- Lead, plan, guide, and direct strategic, coordinated communications, public relations, and marketing strategies, initiatives, projects, and programs globally
- Create and implement an overarching, long-term marketing and communications vision and plan
- Drive efforts to advance, distinguish and enhance the CALSTART brand by leading, managing, and executing all communications to the public across all media and platforms
- Increase overall awareness of the CALSTART brand among target audiences through brand building activities, events, campaigns, and other programs and activities
- Develop and lead a consistent and comprehensive social media strategy that advances CALSTART strategic plan
- Liaise with internal stakeholders across functions to ensure alignment and cohesive messaging
- Oversee content creation and execution for our company and program websites, newsletters, and social media outlets
- Oversee development of press releases and secure coverage in key media outlets
- Design, develop and maintain cohesive presentation formats featuring our meetings, membership, education, journals, scientific policy, society initiatives, and clean transportation technology resources for outreach events
- Collaborate with membership to design and implement membership recruitment campaigns and communications
- Coordinate with existing staff performing communications functions to build a well-coordinated and highly functioning team.
We are a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization with offices in multiple states. With more than 27 years of experience, we work with public and private sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future. By 2030, our goal is to have our member companies dominate the production of vehicles, components, mobility systems, and the production of transportation energy.
Our work is organized into the major initiative areas; light-duty vehicles, buses and innovative mobility, trucks (and off-road vehicles), and fuels and infrastructure., We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving value-added services to our member organizations. We operate from our offices in California, Colorado, Michigan, and New York.
CALSTART is a fast-growing organization. We’ve doubled in size over the last 2.5 years. We believe now is our time, and we are planning for further growth. With this hire, we are seeking to rapidly improve our marketing and communications function. The person who takes this position will have an opportunity to build-up and improve an important part of the organization’s capability.
If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or other related fields
- 8+ years of communications experience in multi platformed dynamic environments, a Journalism background a plus
- 3+ years of experience working in clean transportation, energy efficiency, and or sustainability
- Proven ability to develop a plan and implement an effective marketing plan
- Must possess a clear understanding of marketing and impactful brand building
- Demonstrated ability for holistic, compelling, and consistent storytelling
- Expert hands-on knowledge of all social media platforms, including audience engagement and traffic management
- Proven ability to build and execute a cohesive social media strategy
- Expert at managing website design, as well as content development and creation
- Must demonstrate a leadership style that builds a high level of organizational credibility
- Proven experience driving teamwork and collaboration across a matrixed organization
- Strong ability to manage people and lead with influence
- Expertise in stakeholder management
- Must be focused on results, deadline-driven, and solution-oriented
- Exceptional project and time management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive annual salary based upon experience
- Performance-based growth opportunities
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work
- Committed to employee growth and development
If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply! Qualified candidates, please apply online with your resume and cover letter at www.calstart.org/careers.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and one that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQ+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law or not. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2020-11-17