Director, Corporate Communication
Society for Human Resource Management
At SHRM, we are committed to making work, workers and workplaces better through insights-driven policy solutions, learning and development, thought leadership and research. We are shaping the ways employers and employees thrive together. SHRM is empowering our more than 300,000+ members, including HR professionals, business executives, and people managers, to lead as strategic business partners and effective stewards of workplace culture, business productivity, and employee engagement.
The Director, Corporate Communications, is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy to achieve advocacy, brand, business, marketing, and membership objectives. The Director is a key member of the Marketing and Experience division and will work with staff throughout the organization to maximize business and communications strategies.
- Develop communications plans including earned media programs and tactics supporting advocacy, brand, business, marketing and membership plans.
- Proactively position SHRM and its leaders as thought leaders and content experts.
- Manage the day-to-day corporate communications efforts.
- Manage messaging around key announcements, launches, and media initiatives.
- Initiate, cultivate and maintain relationships with key members of the media and other key stakeholders.
- Proactively develop communication strategies and crisis management plans; establish a process to rapidly act.
- Design a story concept and carry it out from beginning to end.
- Generate and manage publicity with a focus on the U.S. market and with an eye toward the global news marketplace.
- Shape media stories based on audience and desired outcome.
- Write and/or edit media releases and media content.
- Ghost write columns for placement in top tier media outlets.
- Develop communication materials for CEO and executive leadership team, including messaging and talking points, Q&As, briefings, employee engagement, communications to business partners, and other written materials.
- Leverage assets such as new books and scholarly pieces to book national media tours.
- Engage media onsite at SHRM-hosted and other industry events.
- Crisis management planning, thought leadership development, and supporting communications efforts involving business partners
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Psychology, Sociology or a related field.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant experience
- Experience securing media coverage, and developing and securing long-term engagements and partnerships with the media.
- Understanding the media landscape and changing evolution of members of the media and opinion, business and public policy influencers.
- Experience booking spokespeople on national news shows and in top tier media, as well as securing media coverage in B2C and B2B publications.
- Working knowledge of AP Style and journalistic principles.
- Ability to lead a team of media relations professionals in a fast-paced environment with a diverse workload in a demanding and dynamic workplace.
- Experience with media analysis, analytics reporting, and incorporating data into communications plans.
- Deep understanding of how earned media is a crucial channel to brand campaigns, advocacy initiatives and marketing efforts.
- Project management and organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required, including excellent writing, grammar, proofreading and editing skills.
- Experience managing cohesive brand alignment in all deliverables, with specific focus on developing organization-wide PR campaigns.
- Ability to prioritize, plan and execute responsibilities independently.
- Ability to multitask and reprioritize throughout the day.
- Experience with and comfort in providing clear, concise reporting to executive leaders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of staff and SHRM’s members and stakeholders.
- Effective collaboration and team-playing skills.
Let us know if you have:
- Master’s degree
- PR agency experience
- Must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily with reasonable accommodations.
- Work is generally done sitting, talking, hearing and typing. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
- Travel Required: Occasional 0 – 10%
Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
SHRM is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
We do not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-18