Director, Federal Government Affairs
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
Bristol Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company committed to transforming patients’ lives through science. At the core of that mission are the talented individuals who contribute their “unique” skillsets to help us drive innovation and deliver truly life-changing drugs for our patients. As we continue to pursue that mission, we’re looking for talented professionals like you to join our team. What unique gene will you bring?
This position reports to the Executive Director, Federal Government Affairs and is based in Washington, D.C. The Director, Federal Government Affairs will work on strategic federal issues, including lobbying and strategic external engagement. Responsibilities include:
- Develop lobbying policy strategies and initiatives that address key issues in the pharmaceutical and health care environment, including coverage and access to innovative medicines.
- Engage with external trade associations, academic institutions, think tanks, and other policy-oriented groups.
- Lobby Congress and Executive agencies on strategic imperatives.
- Support PAC and political operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute lobbying strategy to advance policy priorities.
- Strong relationships with House Republican health committees and leadership.
- Work closely with corporate affairs, commercial units and key functions to assess eﬀects of new policies or proposed changes in policy.
- Build Organizational Alignment on Key Issues— Inform and educate management and employees about external developments and develop external communications for use in policy conversations.
- Engage externally—Represent and establish our company as an industry leader in policy conversations with appropriate external venues; including trade associations, academic institutions, think tanks, and other policy-oriented organizations.
- Lead political engagement strategy.
- 10-15 years of relevant public or private sector experience in health care, Master’s Degree or J.D. preferred;
- Excellent verbal, analytical, written and interpersonal communication skills, particularly in interpreting and distilling complex information;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills—demonstrated ability to independently manage multiple work streams;
- Demonstrated commitment to ensuring patient access to innovative medicines and the importance of a thriving biopharmaceutical industry;
- Ability to maintain good working relationships, internally and externally;
- Ability to travel to NJ headquarters and other important events, about 25% travel expected, or as necessary;
- Key attributes: personal integrity, conﬁdence, ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment, accountability, optimism, creativity, committed to a strong team culture.
- Executive Director, Federal Government Affairs
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-05