Director of Government Affairs
Growth Energy is seeking qualified and eager candidates to join our growing organization as the Director of Government Affairs. As the leading trade association representing producers and supporters of biofuels, we work every day to bring consumers better choices at the fuel pump, grow America’s economy, and improve the environment for future generations.
The Director of Government Affairs is primarily responsible for executing the association’s lobbying, regulatory, and political strategies, developing and maintaining policy documents and tracking tools, and advocating with policymakers on important industry issues. The successful candidate will also assist the VP of Government Affairs in managing Growth Energy’s political action committee (PAC).
This position reports directly to the VP of Government Affairs and does not have any supervisory responsibilities, but will have substantive authority over several key policy issues, will directly engage with federal policymakers and regulators, and will assist in managing outside consultants. Candidates with experience in agriculture and liquid transportation fuels policy are highly desirable.
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of key ethanol industry policy and regulatory issues by tracking federal legislation and relevant regulatory actions;
- Lead advocacy efforts with Congressional and federal agency offices on certain ethanol industry policy and regulatory issues;
- Manage external and internal documents and presentations related to the policy environment for renewable fuels;
- Develop materials and information for Congressional briefings and CEO briefings; and
- Present at important internal and external policy, regulatory, and stakeholder meetings as a policy expert for the organization.
- Manage several components of the Growth Energy PAC, including tracking and reporting needs, and potentially including disbursement strategies, documents, and presentations;
- Provide policy expertise and support to the Communications department for grassroots and regulatory efforts;
- Lead efforts to confirm key Congressional speakers and special guests for Growth Energy events;
- Manage and engage with certain outside consultants; and
- Represent the association at events that can be outside normal work hours, including political fundraisers and industry meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 7 or more years in related professional work setting;
- 4 or more years working on Capitol Hill or with Congressional offices or related relevant advocacy experience; and
- Fundraising experience or knowledge preferred.
- Essential Skills & Knowledge
- Experience developing federal policy and Congressional-related materials;
- Strong knowledge of federal political process;
- Basic knowledge of federal election laws and regulations;
- Experience in agriculture or liquid transportation fuels policy is highly desirable; and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office: Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Essential Competencies & Behaviors
- Industrious, self-motivated, and able to work well independently as well as with all levels of professionals;
- Able to manage multiple projects and prioritize work to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment; with minimal supervision;
- Able to maintain confidentiality of all sensitive information;
- Capable of making decisions while maintaining a mature demeanor, common sense, and good judgment; and
- Flexibility to attend industry events in the early morning and evenings that can be outside normal work hours.
Growth Energy employees are industrious, self-motivated, and able to work well independently as well as with all levels of professionals in pursuit of a final goal. The fast-paced nature of Growth Energy requires employees to be able to multi-task and prioritize work to meet deadlines, as well as work varied extended hours during organization events, as business needs dictate. Employees are expected to maintain regular and punctual attendance. Some very limited travel may be required. Growth Energy is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits.
Please visit us online to submit your application: https://growthenergy.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=12
Job posted: 2019-10-03