Director, Government Relations
The Director Government Relations is C Spire’s primary representative and advocate on federal and state legislative and policy issues. This Director develops and implements a comprehensive strategy to address C Spire’s legislative and regulatory priorities. The Director also manages the relationship and work product of C Spire’s contract lobbyists and public affairs consultants. The Director reports to the SVP – Strategic Relations and works collaboratively with the VP, Government Contracts and Market Development Strategist to identify, pursue, and achieve C Spire’s strategic goals.
- Manage and eventual ownership of telecom policy issues affecting the Company including, but not limited to:
- Universal Service Fund
- Spectrum issues
- Data roaming
- Device exclusivity
- Special access (backhaul)
- Tower siting
- E911 location accuracy
- These duties will include issue research, awareness and monitoring of other stakeholders’ positioning and strategy, identifying and executing tactics to achieve the Company’s goals.
- Draft legislative and policy advocacy materials (e.g. white papers, PowerPoint presentations, etc.)
- Own the bi-monthly Policy Group call with the Company’s team of consultants (including agenda-setting and scheduling).
- Travel to Washington, D.C. and relevant state capitals to represent the Company before members of Congress and their staffs (approx. 8 times per year, or as needed).
- Travel to industry conferences involving relevant policy issues (approx. 2 times per year).
- Represent the Company on periodic conference calls and in-person meetings of trade groups and other policy alliances. Take primary responsibility for developing and maintaining relationships with targeted members of Congress, relevant state legislators, executive branch officials, and their staffs.
- Take primary responsibility for the Company’s and ownership’s federal and state political contribution plan.Participate in various Strategic initiatives:
- Participate in meetings involving the Company’s strategic initiatives and recommend courses of action to achieve business goals (may require additional overnight travel)
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Political Science, Business, Finance or a related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of legislative or lobbying experience on issues related to telecommunications, utilities, and/or workforce development is required.
- Experience as both the Congressional staff and state executive staff, especially within Mississippi, Alabama, or Tennessee is strongly preferred.
- A proven track record handling complex issues.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Superb project management skills, including demonstrated ability to simultaneously oversee several massive and detailed projects.
- Candidate must be proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be available for overnight travel approximately 10-12 times per year.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Must be able to sit for long periods of time and use computer keyboard and/or mouse, while viewing computer screen.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or national origin. On request, reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-12