Director, Medical Communication
The Director, Medical Communications will help shape and execute Medical Affairs strategic objectives for Emergent’s portfolio of products. Through strategic alignment, the Director will be responsible for planning and execution of activities such as publication planning, internal and external medical education for field medical teams, as well as conference oversight as it pertains to medical content in conjunction with the Sr. Director, Global Medical Affairs. As part of execution of the Emergent strategy, he/she will work closely with Medical Affairs, Clinical Development and Commercial functions in a matrix environment.
The Director, Medical Communications will work close with the Medical Affairs Therapeutic Heads to develop a strategic long-range publication and communication plans and will be responsible for developing and implementing corresponding tactical plans to engage health care professionals, medical organizations and managed markets and access stakeholders. The Director will be well-versed in clinical practice and clinical research so as to deliver cutting edge data and technical/practical education to external stakeholders and HCPs.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversee activities within the Global Medical Communications team for Emergent’s portfolio of products
- Coordinate with Human Resources to recruit and retain Global Medical Communications team members, monitor performance of goals and delivery of medical communications plans, and identify and foster areas for development
- Actively manage team allocation and budget to ensure quality and timely delivery against medical communication plans. Collaborate with the Sr. Director, Global Medical Affairs/Scientific Communications and procurement business partners to manage agency contracting and sourcing
- Coordinate with the Sr. Directors across Global Medical Affairs to share best practices and identify efficiencies
- Oversee the development and implementation of medical communication plans and content
- In cross-functional partnership with the Global Medical Affairs team, define medical communication plans for each disease area / asset and oversee Scientific Communication
- Platform development and implementation by the responsible Global Medical Affairs Sr. Director
- Support the Global Medical Communications team with compliant implementation and oversight of each disease area / asset plan
- Coordinate with the Global Medical Affairs Team and Field Medical Affairs partners to define appropriate medical communication solutions to support product/disease area strategy implementation across geographies including:
- Medical congress planning and execution
- Medical field materials
- Digital / multi-channel approaches
- Collaborate with the Global Medical Affairs team for disease areas / assets to translate medical strategy into medical communication objectives and activities
- Develop and implement a medical communication plan for Emergent’s portfolio of products
- Oversight and leadership of Medical Communication team members to ensure tactical plans are executed
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• A relevant healthcare degree (PhD, PharmD or equivalent) is required
• 5+ years post-doctorate healthcare or related experience
• 3+ years of Medical Affairs experience, preferably within a matrix structure
• Strong awareness of medical affairs roles (e.g. Medical Science Liaison, Medical Information, Medical Communications, Medical Education, Medical Information, Publications)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience managing vendors and complex projects
• Strong knowledge of medical communication approaches and best practices
• Familiarity with international regulatory and legal guidelines regarding medical communication strategy and execution
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
The physical/mental demands are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual would encounter while performing the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment Characteristics:
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-09