Director of Communications
The Rice 360° Institute for Global Health offers innovative research & education programs to design and implement new technologies to solve real global health challenges. The Newborn Essential Solutions and Technologies (NEST360°) program led by Rice 360° is an eight-year initiative to enable African hospitals to provide comprehensive newborn care and to establish a pipeline of local innovators, technicians and medical staff, in partnership with an international group of engineers, physicians, health experts and entrepreneurs from the United States, the United Kingdom, and Sub-Sahara Africa. The first phase of the project will focus on Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya and Nigeria.
Rice 360° is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of director of communications. The director of communications, under the supervision of the Rice 360° executive director and the faculty co-directors, Dr. Rebecca Richards-Kortum and Dr. Maria Oden, is responsible for advancing the Institute’s mission by developing, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive communications and marketing effort to enhance visibility of its programs, expanding the Institute’s audience and prominence and increasing donor support. This position is responsible for the editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of all Rice 360° communications needs, including the Institute’s website, social media, informational documents, promotional and event materials, newsletters and invitations.
The ideal candidate has extensive working knowledge of the use of communications platforms to generate awareness, galvanize resources, build partnerships and influence systems change for global health and development issues in the global south, experience with strategic communications to support engineering education and innovation programs and/or maternal, neonatal and child health programs, experience working in a multi-cultural environment and is willing and able to periodically travel internationally, particularly across sub-Saharan Africa.
Education Required Bachelor’s Degree
Substitution for Education Requirement Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
– Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communication, marketing, journalism, english, or closely related field
– Master’s degree
Experience Required 8 years
Type of Experience
Related experience in communications/public relations.
Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
Related experience in all of the following areas:
– Communicating complex engineering, public health and/or scientific concepts to a variety of audiences
– Using communications efforts to increase broad awareness of and support for global health and development issues
– Using communications efforts to inform political and financial support for health and development goals in the developing world with governmental and non-state organizations
– Conception, design, and management of communications strategies, initiatives and materials
– Copy writing, editing, web writing, photography, graphic design, creating program collateral material and/or presentation design
– Social media communications
– Media relations
– Managing and leading a team
– Strong communication skills both oral and written
– Organization and creativity skills
– Analytical problem solving skills
– Expertise in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
– Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs and/or other publishing and design software
– Familiar with new media applications and social media outlets
– Knowledge of communications issues related to higher education
– Public Health knowledge
– Demonstrated sensitivity to low resource settings
– Knowledge of the interests and needs of engineering, science, technology and education reporters in multiple forms of media highly desirable
– Ability to use imagination and innovation to effectively communicate with appropriate audiences and constituent groups
– Ability to be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills
– Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to details and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
– Ability to work under deadline with flexibility, tact, good judgment, discretion, and take initiative
– Ability to demonstrate Rice 360° Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
Internal / External Contacts
Internal: Significant contact with leaders, managers, and communications specialists in Public Affairs and the Development Office
External: Contact with donors, news media, vendors who handle printing and mailing of publications
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).
– Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., with occasional evening and weekend work
– Some domestic and/or international travel
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/23757
– Develops and executes marketing strategies and marketing plans / programs to meet RICE 360° and NEST360° initiative objectives
– Leads the execution of communication and brand strategy for multiple programs incorporating appropriate channel
– Responsible for staff including the recruitment, management, development, and retention of staff
– Sets budget, goals, and objectives in alignment with organizational goals
– Oversees event management as needed to support marketing objectives
– Manages vendor relationships
– Oversees market research and analysis
– Uses the results to inform decisions regarding strategic marketing direction, product segmentation and customer targeting
– Assesses market opportunities and track market trends. Implement marketing improvements based on findings
– Performs all other duties as assigned
Additional Functions or Information
Management and oversight of communication platforms and channels:
– Manages the Rice 360° and NEST360° initiative website and blog
– Oversight of social media for Rice 360° and the NEST360° initiative
– Develops Rice 360° and NEST360° print communications
– Ensures Rice 360° and NEST360° communication distribution lists are maintained
– Manages Rice 360° and NEST360° communications library/content
Advise leadership and direct staff on Rice 360° communications strategy:
– Alerts Rice 360° Directors to emerging issues being covered in the media that would affect Rice 360° and/or NEST360° and advise on strategies and responses
– Closely watches media landscape around priority areas and issues, providing guidance on how to position and pitch Rice 360° and/or NEST360° topics for publication
– Develops and executes the ideas/tactics to help increase Rice 360° and/or NEST360° visibility and stakeholder participation in engagement opportunities through media outreach, campaigns and events
– Develops and leads media best practices and training sessions for Rice 360° faculty, staff & students, as needed
Lead Rice 360° and NEST360° communications planning, development and engagement:
– Manages Rice 360° engagement with Rice University public affairs and communications staff, as well as that of NEST360° initiative partner organizations
– Mobilizes and aligns internal and external partners on the development and execution of public relations plans and communications pieces
– Connects with and represents Rice 360° and NEST360° to the communications networks of relevant global health and development communities, particularly those for maternal, neonatal & child health and for engineering education & innovation
Job posted: 2020-06-04