Director of Communications
We are seeking a senior communications professional to develop effective strategies and messaging to increase the impact for AFJ and its programs, primarily in the areas of the federal judiciary and nonprofits’ right to engage in advocacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary role for the Director of Communications will be to design and execute a strategic communications plan and associated organizational messaging to advance AFJ/AFJAC and its issues in the public arena. The Director will:
- Supervise communications staff and consultants, and serve as a key member of AFJ/AFJAC’s senior management team;
- Serve as primary writer for the President of AFJ/AFJAC, drafting and/or overseeing the preparation of speeches, op-eds, talking points, blog posts, press releases, and other public statements;
- Work with the Outreach team to design national strategies to engage coalition partners, public officials, Members of Congress, donors and others in communication and awareness campaigns;
- Work with program staff to create program-specific public education and media plans and materials;
- Develop and maintain annual communications work plans, budgets, and timelines;
- Review printed materials such as brochures, legal research, press releases, and advocacy reports;
- Supervise the management, redesign, and content development for organizational websites, social media, digital, podcasts, and video productions;
- Maximize the effective use of online and social media;
- Support development of fundraising materials and campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, nonprofit communications, public affairs, or related field is required. A background in the law, legal affairs, or nonprofit advocacy is encouraged;
- At least 7-10 years of applicable senior level communications, campaign or related policy experience. Campaign, political/Hill, and/or advocacy communications experience preferred;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills that include experience writing press releases, speeches, op-eds, articles, annual reports, ads, online content;
- Experience building a strategic communications plan that targets multiple stakeholder audiences and leverages traditional, digital, and social media platforms;
- Experience managing a team;
- Strong media networks and relationships;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and multiple priorities;
- National communications experience a plus.
The salary range is commensurate with experience. AFJ provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical, prescription, optional vision, dental, flexible spending account, and life and disability insurance, as well as commuter benefits and retirement programs.
This position reports to the Vice President of Programs and Operations and has three direct reports – Press Secretary, Digital Manager, and Web Manager, as well as interns.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so. Ability to travel by train and airplane and work long hours when needed. All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Director of Communications in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)
AFJ/AFJAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ/AFJAC prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or income.
Job posted: 2020-05-04