Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Communications
Henry L. Stimson Center
Director of Communications
Location: Washington, DC / Hybrid
Deadline to Apply: May 12, 2023
Reports to: President and CEO
The Stimson Center, a leading foreign affairs think tank, seeks a full-time Director of Communications. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director of Communications reports directly to the President and CEO and will design and manage communications plans and systems to promote Stimson’s brand and research among high-priority external audiences in government, media, industry, the policy community, and academia. This position will manage a team of communications professionals.
- Promote the Center’s mission, values, brand, image, and research;
- Manage the Communications Department: Lead and manage the communications team to execute the responsibilities of the position and the department including oversight of external vendors;
- Maintain Stimson’s brand, empowering the Board, CEO, and staff to be its ambassadors;
- Manage a multi-channel communications program: Coordinate research and institutional content production, distribution, and promotion across web, social media, mass email, video, events, print, and press. Oversee public event and video production;
- Manage and enable the publishing process: Oversee the publishing pipeline. Ensure ethics, integrity, transparency, and independence policies are followed and that published products meet Stimson’s high standard of excellence. Provide the tools, training, and guidance necessary for policy staff to produce accessible and compelling digital-native research products.
- Advise research programs on communications strategy and tools: Be a partner and sounding board for research programs. Advise them on how to reach their audiences, engage their stakeholders, tell the story of their programs, and turn complex policy analysis into a clear and persuasive narrative.
- Manage media relations: Coordinate media outreach for research products and projects, programs, and experts. Oversee preparation of institutional and programmatic press releases and related content. Coordinate with, guide, and train program staff to develop press strategies for their work, build media relationships, and write compelling placed content.
- Maintain and improve communications processes, infrastructure, and technology: Ensure communications and policy staff have the tools necessary to securely and efficiently manage a high volume of public facing content production, including: The primary Stimson.org website and related sites; mass email subscriber and stakeholder data; production pipeline, event management, and related tools; and an internal tools/resources intranet. Enable programs to provide accurate, and compelling measurements of reach to donors. Use data and analytics to make evidence-based decisions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- A track record of nonprofit or policy organization leadership and management experience with progressively increasing communications responsibilities and successes.
- Demonstrated success in narrative and message development, working with subject matter experts to translate nuanced policy issues into clear, accessible, and persuasive content.
- Existing press relationships a plus.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaboratively.
- Strong knowledge and proficiency with a wide range of communications technologies and tools, including content management systems (such as WordPress), web design tools (such as Elementor), video production (such as vMix, OBS, and Premier), social media platforms, CRM/mass email (such as Mailchimp and Salesforce), databases and project management tools (such as Airtable).
- Familiarity with graphic design, layout, and publishing (such as Adobe InDesign and Illustrator);
- Excellent writing and editing, verbal communication, presentation, and training skills.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 10+ years of communications, public relations, or related experience;
To Apply: https://stimson.applicantpro.com/jobs/2871254.html
Stimson is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Job posted: 2023-05-07