Director– Public Affairs
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Director for its Public Affairs team to support Public Affairs leadership with the creation, strategy and implementation of campaigns and creative deliverables, build relationships and work collaboratively with Public Affairs colleagues and other PhRMA departments, and consultants to identify and execute on creative projects, provide project management support and improve coordination across Public Affairs teams and broader PhRMA organization, and serve as the day-to-day point of contact with member companies and PhRMA staff on the Medicine Assistance Tool (MAT).
The Director is responsible for:
- Leading the development of PhRMA branded creative projects. Develop short-term and long-term campaign and communications materials, including print, digital, social and video. Collaborate across all PhRMA departments to ensure consistency of message and accurate content.
- Coordinating with PhRMA consultants on developing and implementing deliverables for assigned projects. Oversee and review deliverables to ensure desired quality and scope of work are met and within budget.
- Collaborating within the Public Affairs department to support strategies and plans, and ensure consistency of message. Coordinate across department functions (earned, paid and digital) to create content in support of campaigns and initiatives.
- Managing publication process of Medicines in Development reports, working across PhRMA Departments to develop reports and with Communications department to plan and execute an effective rollout.
- Serving as day-to-day department contact for the Medicine Assistance Tool (MAT).
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident and action-oriented individual who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of team and collaborative focus, as well as a positive attitude. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care communications expertise and be an organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. Demonstrated consensus building, decision-making and interpersonal skills are essential. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or related field
- 3‐5 years of relevant professional experience within corporate, government, public relations agency, trade association or advocacy organization.
- Experience and ability to maintain high work standards while working on projects that require coordination across internal and external teams with a sense of urgency under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues, projects, tasks and information/requests. Has proven organizational and project management skills.
- Collaborative team player that also has the ability to work independently and be a self‐starter, take initiative and set priorities.
- Public Affairs or Health Policy experience
- Prior campaign or Capitol Hill experience preferred.
- Experience in the biopharmaceutical or related health care industries a plus.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As the trade association for several leading biopharmaceutical companies, our workforce and culture should reflect the makeup of our clients and the benefactors of our efforts – patients. We at PhRMA are committed to building a culture where diverse people, ideas, and experiences are welcomed, included, and celebrated; where our employees can thrive as they bring their best authentic selves to work every day. PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Job posted: 2021-04-21