External Relations Associate
At Literacy Trust, we believe education is a basic human right and access to high-quality literacy instruction is a cornerstone of our democracy. Our mission is to leverage what already exists in school communities to increase educational capacity in order to create fluent, motivated, self-confident readers.
Through our signature program, Reading Rescue, we provide professional development for teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school community members. Simultaneously, students are provided literacy intervention, particularly students of color in high-poverty neighborhoods. We strive to implement sustainable intervention models that eventually become a core component of the school’s literacy ecosystem. Literacy Trust is currently partnering with over 140 New York City schools, reaching over 800 educators and 1500 students, throughout the five boroughs.
Literacy Trust is an organization that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We demonstrate this by ensuring that our programs and offering reflect our values. Our focus is on promoting self-empowerment for educators, by providing additional resources and support, and by providing more students with opportunities to become readers (we believe the ability to read is a basic civil right).
At Literacy Trust, we promote events, ideas, thinking, programs, and communities that inspire action in pursuit of universal access to literacy. To learn more about Literacy Trust, please visit: www.literacytrust.org.
About the External Relations Associate:
(Note: responsibilities listed below define our standard work in a pre-Covid environment when schools are operating normally; we have been constantly shifting how we support schools and how we operate internally in order to meet the needs of distance learning.)
As a rapidly growing organization in a shifting educational landscape, Literacy Trust is building our capacity to increase and manage revenues from private and public sources. In 2021 we seek to expand our external relations team with our first full-time External Relations Associate. As a member of the External Relations team, the Associate will work with key stakeholders across our funder, school, donor, board, and staff groups, and serve as a point person on several development projects. Working closely with and in support of the Director of External Relations and the Executive Director, they will be a key member of the team working to grow Literacy Trust’s visibility in NYC, and develop materials that prepare us to grow and scale, and serve more school communities across NYC.
The External Relations Associate will support the management and tracking of grants, organizational communications, school recruitment and extension, and board management. Examples of projects include: identifying key data points to share with funders, and making a one pager to reflect the work with one school community; scheduling and taking notes in a contract meeting with an NYC agency partner; collecting compelling content to share with our mailing list. They will work closely in support of the Executive Director with external relations-related board management and fundraising tasks, including calendaring meetings, taking notes in committee meetings, copy-editing, and tracking board activities.
External Relations, Development Coordination & Support :
- Coordinate grants management, overseeing all grant reporting calendars and deliverable requirements, gathering documents, communications with ops or finance on reporting data needed.
- Drafting and editing of communications and development collateral such as: maintaining an updated LT one pager of annual statistics, graphics, updating and sending out quarterly newsletters etc, making simple updates to the Website as needed.
- Preparing briefings on funders, donors, or potential partners for the Director of ER or Executive Director
- Support in the Creation of and maintenance of dashboards, donor and funder data tracking and management systems
- Support with planning (and attending, where appropriate) development and fundraising events, including those on and offline
- Maintaining and improving development systems, including updates to fundraising site Classy, development calendar, task management systems
- Maintain and expand the Literacy Trust newsletter list
- Support with social media planning and posting
- Working relationships: grant writer, Executive Director, Data Manager, Operations Associate, Board members, Director of External Relations
Executive Director Coordination and Support:
- Manage the Executive Director’s Calendar
- Draft and edit external email communication for board, partner, and funder meetings
- Draft and edit meeting agendas and provide support in preparation for staff, board, and committee meetings
- Prepare PPT Decks or reports for presentation at funder or partnership meetings
- Manage ED expenses and submission of expense reports
- Provide support in management of the board
- Board of directors calendar, invitations and committee document management
- Manage tracking of board give/get
- Oversee, document and organize board committee meetings (for follow up)
- Flexibility/ adaptability
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written communication and copyediting
- Systems-oriented thinker
- Excellent writing and copy-editing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient research skills (for writing projects or funder meetings)
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office, Power Point, Google Suite
- Salesforce experience and/or other database administration knowledge
- Asana (or other project management system)
- Experience with newsletter and online fundraising platforms
- Basic graphic design know-how (ability to put together a clean, crisp one pager)
- Event or project management experience
- Strong time management skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with diverse populations, from 1st grade students to city officials
- Ability to use sound judgment when working with highly confidential information
- Detail-oriented, reliable team player with the ability to multitask
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Background in education, public sector, political science, government relations or related field preferred.
- 1-3 years of working experience, preferably in development or administrative experience in a nonprofit setting
- Experience in an education, public sector or government relations setting a plus
- Ability to work remotely and collaboratively until offices reopen
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
The Externation Relations Associate reports to the Director of External Relations.
- Salary: $50,000
- Excellent benefits package: We provide employees with 100% coverage for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, in addition to partial coverage for family members. We also provide retirement accounts with an employer match.
- Professional development: We provide employees with a professional development budget after your first year of service because we want to see you grow in a way that’s meaningful to you.
- Vacation: We offer employees 15 vacation days. Additionally, employees have the Department of Education winter break and the first week of July as paid time off.
- Work-life balance: Summer Fridays! Flexible hours during remote work period.
- Fun work environment: We love to celebrate accomplishments, birthdays and more.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-24