Head of Policy
Nextdoor is the neighborhood hub for you, your neighbors and the broader local community. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
Nextdoor is seeking an experienced Head of Content & Platform Policy, who will be responsible for leading the company’s government relations, policy (both public and internal), and advocacy agenda. As the first hire and leader, you’ll be responsible for developing the function and strategy for Nextdoor across regions, product areas, and functions. Reporting to the Head of Legal & Corporate Development, (CLO) and partnering closely with the Trust & Safety, Communications, Product and Counsel teams, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects, and initiatives.
This role will be responsible for driving internal policy decisions. This function will also lead Nextdoor’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators, and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Nextdoor leaders, the function will seek to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. Our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology converge. We encourage healthy debate around the intersection of issues that affect our users.
This position is strategic and given that we are a startup, also executional as necessary. The successful candidate possesses sharp business and ecosystem acumen, is results oriented and works collaboratively in a fast-paced environment. This person is also known for their ability to coach and manage a team.
The Impact You’ll Make
Direction and strategy
- Develop and lead public policy strategy for the company, coordinating with a cross-functional team to design the Nextdoor’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes
- Design and implement a government relations strategy that promotes Nextdoor’s objectives through compelling public policy and advocacy in government and public arenas at all levels of government in multiple jurisdictions
- Lead executive-level discussions on long-term policy direction in alignment with Nextdoor’s brand values
- Establish and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry and non-industry individuals and groups who can compel/promote public, community, and government actions favorable to the company
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting the social networking app ecosystem, including data privacy and security, content moderation, competition, and user safety
- Work globally to develop public policy strategies and positions for Nextdoor’s products, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions
- Engage with policymakers, industry players, and key opinion formers
- Manage all government affairs activities including coordinating and monitoring legislative initiatives as prioritized by business needs and attending all association meetings as appropriate
- Evaluate pending legislation that may have impact on the company and develop timely recommendations for senior management and key business leaders
Teams you’ll work with
- Work closely with the Communications and Counsel teams on strategic engagement before federal and state legislative and regulatory bodies, and other related constituencies
- Collaborate and communicate with teams including Product, Communications (internal and external), Community Operations + Community Experience, and more.
Build Policy team globally
- Oversee and allocate resources effectively
- Identify resourcing needs to execute policy strategy
What You’ll Bring to The House
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 10-15+ years of experience working on technology policy issues within corporations, government, think tanks, public interest groups, or relevant industry associations
- Prior experience working in a government affairs function within a consumer-facing company, as well as setting strategy and policy
- Demonstrated track record of policy advocacy and legislative adoption and the local/state/federal level
- Master’s degree, J.D., or Ph.D.
- Experience within the technology and consumer internet and/or social media industry and familiarity with the surrounding policy environments
- Experience at a technology company, NGO, or similar organization, handling technology policy issues with global implications
- Familiarity with public policy issues associated with the technology industry, including topics such as user safety, privacy, and community moderation
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product, engineering, marketing, legal and operations teams
- Team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously
Learn more here
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Job posted: 2020-09-18