Head of Regulatory
Who We Are
Nuro is a robotics start-up whose mission is to accelerate the benefits of robotics for everyday life. We believe AI and robotics are at the cusp of transforming daily life and we are dedicated to building meaningful products with this technology. Join us and play a critical role in our mission.
About the Role
As Head of Regulatory, you’ll work at the crossroads of law, regulation and new technology, supporting our teams to ensure compliance with local, state, federal and international laws and regulations dealing with robotics, machine learning, vehicle manufacturing, autonomous vehicle technology and operations, goods delivery, privacy, tort liability, and consumer protection. Principal duties include providing strategic policy and compliance advice and counsel pertaining to Nuro’s business and products through existing and new regulatory regimes. As Head of Regulatory, you will assist in the development of these laws and regulations with agencies and other policymakers. The role includes a combination of law, policy, and advocacy. This role requires self-direction, the confidence that stems from helping leading technology companies navigate legal, regulatory and compliance work from the rudimentary to the groundbreaking, impeccable attention to detail and follow-through, and an abiding commitment to be part of a congenial team of innovators.
About the Work
You will dive in on day one executing across a wide range of areas, including:
- Help build and strive to make Nuro’s safety-first culture best-in-class by advancing Nuro’s engagement with regulators and policy development to ensure public trust.
- Work on regulatory requirements related to Nuro’s autonomous vehicles and technology, including NHTSA, state departments of motor vehicles, and comparable regulators in other regions.
- Manage government licensing and reporting obligations.
- Support Nuro’s internal teams with the development and deployment of new products, vehicles, technology, and features.
- Provide proactive advice and counsel on applicable laws and regulations in the automotive industry.
- Identify areas of compliance risk and proactively manage Nuro’s risk profile.
- Participate in meetings of various compliance-related matters and safety reviews.
- Formulate and influence forward-looking policy regarding autonomous vehicles, privacy, robotics, and machine learning.
- Advise company executives on addressing complex legal issues.
- Determine when a legal matter requires consultation or coordination with government offices, agencies or departments.
About the day-to-day function:
- Actively contribute to success. You will be a key pair of eyes providing legal analysis of the company’s regulatory compliance, actively seeking out opportunities to add value and strengthen output — often on tight deadlines — in the service of delivering transformative products.
- Collaborate cross-functionally. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, including technical teams, to ensure that our products and services are as legally sound as they are delightful, documenting and articulating those decisions to key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Develop other teams’ expertise on legal matters. As the translator between the world of regulation and technical robotics, you will work to educate the company’s diverse teams on the legal requirements and best practices in their space — and, often, defining them.
- You’re experienced. You have been a lawyer in a fast-growing technology-focused organization; either in-house, working for similar clients at a top-tier law firm — or both.
- You’re relentless in getting to the right answer. You are as much a master of legal research as you are creative and collaborative decision-maker, focused on finding the best right answer among competing demands.
- You’re known and relied upon for your judgment. You have a proven combination of great legal instincts and business acumen.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments, expertly prioritizing among multiple tasks. From driving long-term and complex projects from start-to-finish to reviewing documentation on a moment’s notice, you’re excited about serving as a legal expert in a fast-paced startup.
- You’re a self-starter and get things done. The opposite of a bottleneck, you are known for driving process and are widely known for your ability to follow through and get results.
- You see opportunity in ambiguity. You have experience in spaces where law and regulation is ambiguous, unarticulated, or entirely absent. You are able to identify not just requirements for compliance, but opportunities to lead and define best practice.
- You do your best work within diverse, collaborative teams. You see legal as an integral and integrated part of the company’s mission, pro-actively engaging and providing input to matters.
- You know how to engage with teams and their leaders. You are an expert in helping others separate the important or problematic from the merely urgent, helping other team leaders deliver on their priorities on account of your rigor and hustle.
- You’re a fast and precise writer. You are comfortable taking the first pen on documents in a range of legal and compliance contexts; able to tailor your writing to audiences; and quickly produce a written product that is polished and ready for commercial, public, government, or other external consumption.
- You care deeply about impact. You are passionate that your work makes a significant impact on the lives of millions of people — and recognize the responsibility that comes with it.
- You have 10+ years of relevant experience. You have some combination of experience in product counseling, regulatory affairs, product liability, privacy, automotive, transportation-related industries, with a preference for an engineering or technical background.
- And ideally, you’re a member of the California Bar (or able to obtain California in-house registration). Admission in other jurisdictions is also a plus.
At Nuro, we celebrate differences and are committed to a diverse workplace that fosters inclusion and psychological safety for all employees. Nuro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and expressly prohibits any form of workplace discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Job posted: 2021-04-06