Internal Communications Specialist
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
We are looking for a dynamic, organized and positive-minded Internal Communications Specialist to join the Internal Communications Team. The position provides a broad range of technical and administrative support to the Director of Internal Communications and the Internal Communications Team. The Internal Communications Specialist leads the design, upkeep and management of the intranet, working with various community space managers across the organization. The role also supports the Director of Internal Communications in coordinating information flow and creating effective internal communications systems. They will also support administrative functions, such as budgeting, meeting preparation, events and travel coordination, and contribute to culture-building and staff engagement initiatives.
The Internal Communications Specialist reports directly to the Director of Internal Communications, and is a member of the Communications Department.
This position can be located in Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA.
Technology, Tools and Platform Management (50%):
- Manages the company intranet (Atlas), including the design of new spaces and the creation, posting and updating of new information and content
- Coordinates and supports Atlas space managers across the organization in the design and maintenance of their team sites
- Provides Atlas training to new space managers; creates tutorials, FAQs, and other resources for staff new to the platform
- Works with Director of Internal Communications to research and implement system changes to enhance user experience with internal communications platforms; helps promote system changes to teams and departments across the organization; keeps abreast of current best practices, and new technologies and platforms
- Works with the IT team in troubleshooting technical issues on the intranet platform; provides backend management of staff accounts
- Supports internal communications initiatives on MS Teams and Slack; works with staff to maintain those sites
Administrative Support (30%)
- Support the calendaring and planning of All-Staff Calls and internal communications meetings, including AV set-up and live support, and distribution of materials
- Support the Director of Internal Communications in the hiring and onboarding of new team members, including candidate screening, correspondence, scheduling, interviewing, and training.
- Support the Director of Internal Communications in event planning and travel logistics, including the planning of team retreats and coordinating of travel logistics
- Support the Director of Internal Communications in managing the budget and finances of the team, including tracking invoices and credit card expenses and preparing expense reports
- Serve as the Internal Communications point person for general information requests from internal and external sources, keeper of knowledge about general team and departmental information, guidelines, and documents
Culture Building (20%)
- Foster staff engagement through active content promotion on Atlas, Teams, Slack, and other platforms; solicit staff input through surveys, polls, and other means of engagement.
- Contribute to ideation and implementation of organizational culture-building initiatives spearheaded by the Internal Communications Team, including Earth Day events, workshops and learning opportunities, and other social events to foster staff engagement
- Support a vibrant Internal Communications team culture by helping to organize welcome lunches, birthdays, and other team-building events
- B.A. required with at least 2 years of equivalent practical, work experience
- Experience with digital management and communication tools, such as Communifire (Atlas), Microsoft Teams, BlueJeans, Basecamp, Trello, and Slack desired
- In-depth proficiency with MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Reader and Acrobat
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks, often under tight timelines
- Ability to work with teams remotely
- Experience providing administrative support for senior staff
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good judgment about people and situations; professional, positive and approachable attitude; a team player
- Interest in contributing to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Can effectively champion a learning culture and inspire curiosity
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving skills
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Has prominent levels of emotional intelligence, cultural sensitivity, and discretion
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is based on experience and location
Salary range in Washington, DC: $73,300 – $81,400
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $77,000 – $85,600
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- Professional Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Incomplete application will not be considered.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Job posted: 2020-07-22