We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Hiring Manager
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
Initiated in 1898, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is the marketing organization and trade association for America’s one million cattle farmers and ranchers. With offices in Denver and Washington, D.C., NCBA is a consumer-focused, producer-directed organization representing the largest segment of the nation’s food and fiber industry. NCBA works to achieve the vision; “A dynamic and profitable beef industry, which concentrates resources around a unified plan, consistently meets global consumer needs and increases demand.”
We are always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
We are the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, and we come to work every day to work on behalf of our country’s nearly one million cattle farmers and ranchers. You may have heard of the iconic Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. brand and one of our core jobs is to protect that brand and help bring it to the next generation of consumers by sharing with them stories about the amazing people who raise beef, the strength that beef provides and of course, the great taste of beef.
We have an exciting role open right now on our Issues Management and Media Relations team in our Denver office. The right candidate will be excited by developing and executing strategic communications plans, a strong writer, a team player, and be willing and able to roll up his or her sleeves and get stuff done.
As part of the Issues Management and Media Relations team, you’ll be supporting our efforts through active monitoring of issues that threaten consumer confidence in beef through the Beef Digital Command Center. You’ll also keep a pulse on and strategize around important conversations about the beef industry to ensure that NCBA is developing relationships with media and leading influencers to help shape their opinions on beef. In addition, you’ll support the team by developing and disseminating critical issues-related and reputation-building information through fact sheets, press releases, bylined articles, issues alerts and other communication tools and tactics.
This is a key role for the organization and the cattle farmers and ranchers we represent, and it requires your full dedication. But, we’re a fun group of people, committed to each other and to delivering great work in an essential industry. And, there’s competitive pay and benefits, too.
- Communications: 85%
- Analyze mentions of the beef industry across all traditional and social media channels via media monitoring software. Track and report on key trends to help inform and guide issues management efforts.
- Assist in the development and execution of effective and timely communications materials and strategies to ensure issues are appropriately addressed and beef’s positive, proactive stories are told.
- Support issues response efforts and carry out day-to-day implementation of issues response strategies and tactics.
- With guidance from the team, develop, design and write communications (e.g. communication plans, stories, scripts, memos, press releases, articles, talking points, presentations) that are compelling, accurate, clear, in line with our brand voice, and delivered on time.
- Working in collaboration with the team, provide recommendations on issues response efforts and outreach and engagement opportunities for industry thought leaders and potential influencers, including identifying meetings, conferences and educational event opportunities.
- Support the internal team and state partners on issues response and reputation management requests, including drafting materials and coordinating content needs.
- Team contributions: 15%
- Collaborate with other members on the team to optimize efficiency and ensure consistent messaging across channels.
- Participate in daily newsroom calls to determine media storylines, trends and opportunities for beef.
- Contribute to the development of creative communications strategies and practices by keeping abreast of the latest industry standards, best practices, tools and technologies.
- Maintain shared calendars, project tracking documents, department SharePoint site and other administrative needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, English literature or creative writing, marketing or similar field plus a minimum of one-year of experience in communications, journalism or public relations. Agricultural communications experience or degree preferred.
- Knowledge of communication principles/theories, specifically strategic thinking, communication plan development and execution, messaging, content strategy, and writing.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment of issues and crisis management and must be passionate about responding to the challenging issues impacting production agriculture and the beef industry, occasionally involving early/late/weekend hours.
- Basic understanding AP Style writing.
- Basic knowledge of social media platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including style flexing, receiving constructive feedback, and active listening.
- Collaborative in nature and a thoughtful self-starter.
- Basic skills in organization and prioritization, including tracking multiple projects.
- Basic skills in computer systems, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to follow processes and procedures.
- Regular and reliable full-time attendance.
- Ability to travel overnight (10 – 15 percent of your time), and availability on weekends.
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Short-Term Disability
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Time
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-30