The Communications Manager will report to the Manager of Communications for BSE, serving as a press liaison between BSE’s teams, properties and the media. Aforementioned properties include Barclays Center, the Brooklyn Nets and their G-League affiliate, the Long Island Nets, Nets Gaming Crew, and more. The individual must be a well-rounded, enthusiastic, creative communications professional with strong media contacts, big ideas, and interpersonal skills. Experience in sports and/or entertainment communications or at a PR firm/agency a strong plus. Experience in managing junior-level staff preferred. The Manager will be responsible for pitching and placing stories, drafting press releases, and assisting in developing and executing communications strategies with a focus on BSE teams, venues, and specific events as we stimulate, develop, and manage media coverage to increase the visibility of the brand in the consumer and corporate worlds. The Manager will also be responsible for serving as the primary media contact onsite for a variety of events and will be required to work nights and weekends as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Pitch and place stories related to BSE sports properties, encompassing the Brooklyn Nets, Long Island Nets, Barclays Center events, including concerts, college basketball, and family entertainment;
- Pitch and place stories related to other BSE properties and executives, including business and programming initiatives;
- Responsible for press release writing;
- Assist in drafting company-wide communication;
- Assist in maintaining the department’s storylines, fact sheets, media outreach tracking documents, and media distribution lists;
- Oversee media onsite at events, including concerts, college basketball, boxing, and family entertainment;
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Arts degree preferred
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience working within similar role;
- Previous experience at a Public Relations firm/agency preferred;
- Previous PR experience with entertainment, music, and sports brands preferred.
- Strong writing skills and AP style proficiency
- Generate story ideas and the ability to make them interesting to media;
- Experience pitching stories of all types to a wide selection of media outlets, and working with reporters/editors/producers;
- Extensive media contacts and ability to identify new media outlets regularly;
- Knowledge of influencer landscape and ability to identify, connect, and leverage relationships;
- Knowledge of key players in the sports and entertainment industry, and how industry news directly or indirectly affects the business;
- Keen attention to detail, strong conflict resolution, problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Flexible and reliable standout colleague, always acting in the best interest of their department and the company as a whole
- Ability to create and maintain productive, positive relationships through strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates a strong ability to manage one’s own time and prioritize tasks when given clearly defined goals and objectives;
May be required to travel on rare occasions (<5% travel); trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay for one or more nights.
Works primarily in an office environment but is expected to attend games and other events on evenings, weekends and holidays.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of the Company not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, transgender status, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-30