Social Progress Imperative
The Opportunity & Key Priorities
Generous backing from founding donors has fueled the Social Progress Imperative’s ambitious pursuit of redefining how the world thinks and acts about development, putting social progress at the center of debate, decision-making and action. Following the breakthrough accomplishments of its first four years, the Social Progress Imperative is pursuing efforts to scale its impact globally. To achieve this, the Social Progress Imperative must globalize its communications and marketing activities, seek out new opportunities to convey its voice and value, and support increased demand from its partners.
The Social Progress Imperative seeks a creative, entrepreneurial, outcome-driven professional with exceptional media relations, event communications and social media skills. This new position – Media Manager – reports to the Global Director, Marketing and Communications and will collaborate regularly with the CEO, senior leaders and spokespeople, researchers and partners, and communications advisors and staff.
Key responsibilities include:
Engaging Journalists & the Public
- Manage global media relationships as well as related news distribution and monitoring systems.
- Develop story angles and narratives for journalists and events.
- Pitch, brief, secure and monitor media.
- Write and publish social media content.
- Respond to public inquiries generated from the website and social media.
- Developing media materials with the Writer/Editor and translating/tailoring them, according to region/audience.
- Support spokespeople with custom messaging and coaching.
- Coordinate with partners for joint promotional strategies.
- Scout and support media and PR collaborations, including formal partnerships/sponsorships.
Leading Events & Campaigns
- Identify, organize and promote thought leadership events and advocacy campaigns.
- Secure speaking engagements for senior leaders.
Collaborating & Managing Projects
- Partner with technical experts and outreach leads to exchange ideas and secure the necessary information to present clear and compelling story about social progress.
- Evaluate/report the outcomes of campaigns, including advertising, social media and traditional media.
- Develop and maintain a campaign plans and timelines and consistently deliver on schedule.
- Coordinate with authors, information holders and other communications staff members to support the creative process and smooth work flow.
- Monitor other organizations’ media relations and events, and suggest ways that Social Progress Imperative can adapt or adopt similar approaches.
- Recruit and engage external communications advisors in pro-bono strategy development and in-kind services.
- Co-supervise a part-time, Communications Specialist.
This is a unique opportunity for an intellectually curious, self-starter who is passionate about building a fairer, more sustainable world and helping to convey the voice and value of this innovative global initiative. Candidates need the intellectual dynamism and business prowess to be effective in a start-up, entrepreneurial culture, as well as the capacity to understand the Index and its application to real-world decision-making. The strongest applicants also will be excited to work in a flexible, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment across different countries, cultures and time zones.
Candidates must have a portfolio of published work that demonstrates creativity, clarity, consistency and accuracy as well as mastery of information and project management. All applicants must have a portfolio of top-tier media placements and social media campaigning for a public-facing institution or individual as well as reliable contacts among global business media. Candidates with media connections in Latin America, Asia and Africa will be highly competitive.
The Media Manager is also a master in purposeful networking; public speaking; editorial planning; measuring and evaluating the impact of communications campaigns; responding to opportunities and crises quickly and wisely; managing event invitations, registrations and promotions; publishing on social media; and formalizing advertising and other promotional collaborations.
A commitment to openness and transparency is a must, which is crucial to Social Progress Imperative’s culture, as is consistent and frequent communication at all levels in the organization. Since the Social Progress Imperative expects to maintain a small staff, the Media Manager must bring a combination of strategic thinking and hands-on capabilities. Comfort working across time zones, languages, and cultures is paramount to the success of this role.
- At least seven years of related work experience, including one year of supervisory experience.
- A Bachelor’s-level degree (or equivalent) in Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or Communications.
- Strong command of the English language with an advanced vocabulary, spelling and grammar; multilingual candidates are highly desired.
- Demonstrated creativity, strategic judgement, awareness of global debates and trends (such as social, political, economic and technological), and familiarity with influencers’ positions and journalists/producers’ needs.
- Advanced interpersonal communication and collaboration skills as well as stellar negotiation and organization talents.
How to apply
The Social Progress Imperative is an equal opportunity employer. We offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, including covering 100% of medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and their dependents and 5% contribution to employees’ 403(b) retirement plans after six months of employment.
Well qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for this position as soon as possible by sending a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role, salary expectations and resume to email@example.com. Work samples will be requested of finalists as well.
Job Posted: March 12, 2017