Media Relations Director
National Farmers Union
The Media Relations Director oversees development and implementation of all NFU media relations strategies, relationship building with media and partner organizations, and coordination of member communications. The Media Relations Director ensures the organization’s messaging consistency and works with the Digital Media Director to ensure all external communications maintain consistent branding.
• Develop messaging for NFU external communications and ensure that messaging is consistently relayed to target audiences by NFU staff and state organizations.
• Develop relationships with journalists, editors, broadcasters, congressional offices, governmental agencies, and partner organizations.
• Write and distribute news releases, audio news releases and op-eds.
• Develop and distribute story pitches to major outlets requesting interviews or coverage of an issue.
• Develop and distribute NFU member communications, including the Washington Corner and Union Farmer newsletters.
• Organize news conferences/conference calls and other events both in Washington, DC and across the countryside.
• Field media calls and occasionally serve as organization spokesperson.
• Participate in planning all aspects of NFU annual convention and Washington, DC fly-in.
• Coordinate Farmers Union Media Association (FUMA) conference calls and event coverage.
NOTE: The duties listed are not intended to be all-inclusive.
Job requires a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, or a related field and a minimum 3 years related work experience. Candidates with experience in agriculture policy and trade associations strongly preferred. Requires strong written and verbal communications skills. Previous experience with Adobe InDesign is preferred. Candidates should be detail-oriented and possess the ability to multi-task and collaborate effectively.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes paid health, dental and vision insurances, paid vacation and holidays, and a generous 401k retirement plan.
Applications must include a cover letter and resume and be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2019. Please add “Media Relations Director” in the subject line of the email.
Job posted: 2019-04-27