Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Media Relations Specialist
The Media Relations Specialist works closely with the Media Relations Director to ensure that EFF’s communications with news gatherers of all kinds is prompt, effective, and proactive. The Media Relations Specialist sometimes also writes and edits press releases and blog posts, and helps everyone at EFF uncover press-friendly ways to communicate our work.
Answering press requests: 70%
- Provide prompt, friendly, and comprehensive assistance to reporter requests about EFF and its issue areas by monitoring and responding to requests arrving through the Cerberus email system and press phone.
- Assess each request’s importance to EFF’s goals and the urgency it deserves; identify who in the organization is best to answer the request, and approach those staffers with a clear description of the topic and time commitment; keep the requestor updated on your progress, with reasonable deadlines for the next communication. We answer all media requests, even if the answer is that we can’t comment; occasionally the specialist will answer requests and give interviews directly.
- Write clear and concise press releases, blog posts, and social media content
- Must be comfortable with collaborative writing
- Must write fast, accurately, and with flair
- Collaborate with other EFF teams on media planning for lawsuits, activism, and other campaigns
- Plan and execute media strategy for breaking news, including talking points for speaking to reporters and the public
- Prep staffers for individual interviews
Qualities We’re Seeking (i.e. Competencies)
Successful candidates bring these qualities:
- Must be able to identify angles on EFF’s work that are ripe for more publicity
- Must be able to write for online publication fast, accurately, and memorably
- Must be a fast learner who can understand complex technical and legal issues and help communicate them to laypeople
- Strong time management skills and the ability to hit absolute deadlines
- Must be occasionally available outside business hours when events require
- Advanced, effective skills at oral and written communication
- Must demonstrate care and respect toward coworkers, outside partners, members of the public, donors, and others with whom this role interacts
- Must work to positively and collaboratively resolve conflicts and overcome challenges
- Must have effective skills at oral and written communication
- Must be able to understand and articulate with accuracy EFF’s mission, positions, and work
- Must be available and responsive to colleagues, outside partners, and others over email, phone, and online chat, with the ability to respond reliably to time-sensitive requests for assistance and opportunities during business hours, and, occasionally, outside business hours
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences including race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
Required Education & Experience
- Significant experience with journalism and journalists. This can be all in public relations, all in journalism, or preferably some combination of the two.
- Strong writing skills
- Solid analytical skills
- Proficiency in Spanish is desirable although not required
Classification: Exempt, Union, Full-time
Compensation: $90,000 – $100,000 DOE and location
Expected hours of work: Typically Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
Reports to: Media Relations Director
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Physical Demands: This position requires the ability to lift up to 30 lbs on occasion.
Travel: EFF hosts two one-week all-staff gatherings at our San Francisco offices each year in the spring and fall, and all staff are expected to attend. There will also be opportunities to attend relevant professional conferences remotely or in person.
Location: You may work from San Francisco or you may work from another U.S. location. This position will need to keep Pacific time zone hours.
Commitment to Diversity
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-11