San Francisco, CA
OpenAI’s policy team is seeking to hire a Policy Manager to work alongside our Policy Director to help our team execute ambitious, long-term policy projects, involving a mixture of internal work (e.g., research evaluating the multiple uses of in-development AI systems) and external work (e.g., executing policy outreach campaigns and representing OpenAI in policy-relevant forums).
Success in this role will require strong project management and execution skills, mentoring of other members of the policy team, and deep familiarity with contemporary artificial intelligence research.
- Management of policy team members: Mentorship, 1:1s, career development.
- Policy campaign conception and execution: Work with the Policy Director to conceive of policy campaigns and to execute them.
- Policy research: Conduct and oversee research projects oriented around issues in AI policy.
- Project management: A core part of the role is to manage the various projects being carried out by the policy team and ensure various workstreams are brought together to map to organizational timelines.
You might enjoy this role if you:
- Are fascinated by the intersection of advanced technology and policymaking and want to work in an environment where you have access to experts from both worlds.
- Like digging into scientific research papers and thinking about their long-term societal implications.
- Enjoy fostering a collaborative research environment for self-directed researchers.
- Are passionate about ensuring the success of those around you – a core part of the role is management and career development for the policy team.
- Derive energy from helping other people grow and succeed in their careers.
- Like doing things that have never been done before.
- Habitually skim papers on arXiv.
- Believe that AI is important and are passionate about ensuring that it is developed in ways that are safe and beneficial.
- Enjoy puzzling over issues with a group of people with diverse specialisms, ranging from traditional policy to technically-augmented analysis, to ethics and philosophy.
- 3-5 years of experience in AI policy or adjacent to it, for instance via working for policymakers in a technical or scientific context, working in-house at a technology firm, engaging with policy from academic labs, and so on.
- 3 years of management experience, with a track record of managing three or more people.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrable success at project management and execution.
- Demonstrable familiarity with contemporary AI research.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-05