Location: Currently remote; however, we are looking for candidates willing to relocate to Washington, DC once DC government and local health officials have determined employees may return to their physical work sites.
Status: Full time; Exempt
Launched in 2018, the Groundwork Collaborative is a mission-driven effort to advance an economic vision that delivers meaningful opportunity and prosperity for everyone. We work with economic policy experts, progressive movement leaders, and activists on the front lines of progressive causes in communities across the country to develop and advance a progressive economic worldview, collaborate and foster new ideas, and develop new pathways to share information. We’re committed to breaking down issue silos, supporting and amplifying each other’s work, and showing up for one another on critical economic issue campaigns.
Groundwork is looking for an experienced Press Secretary who will support Groundwork’s communications portfolio, focusing on Groundwork’s media strategies. This position will support the communications team in areas including media relations and press outreach, rolling out our research and other announcements, and advising on our issues campaigns, messaging and editorial strategy.
The Press Secretary will also help promote the work and thought leadership for Groundwork’s leadership team as well as other leading progressives on the economy, and develop and track media coverage and narratives to advance the progressive worldview on the economy, working within the Groundwork team to craft and distribute our messaging and communications products to the press.
As Groundwork’s Press Secretary you will…
- Work with the Communications team, leading our press and media operations.
- Pitch stories and respond to press inquiries.
- Draft media relations materials, including press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and messaging.
- Maintain relationships with reporters, editors, and producers.
- Manage press lists.
- Track current events, advise on hooks and angles to insert Groundwork and our message into the news.
- Organize press-related events, including calls, conferences, and briefings.
- Collaborate with Groundwork teams and partners to develop leads and identify. opportunities to publicize organizational initiatives, activities, reports, and other content to drive press.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- You have an interest in progressive messaging on the economy.
- You are a stronger writer and are adept at drafting short and long-form copy.
- You have a keen awareness of the news cycle and how Groundwork’s progressive economic worldview might fit into it.
- You’re a pro at multitasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans.
- You’re a creative and innovative team player willing to try new approaches to solving old problems.
In addition, it would be a bonus if…
- You’re familiar with the progressive economic policymaking community.
- You have strong relationships with a wide variety of political and economic reporters, editors, and hosts
The salary range for this position is $75,000 to $95,000.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union, and employment terms will be subject to future collective bargaining.
How to apply
To begin the application process, please provide a cover letter, your resume, and two strong samples of your best work (for example, an op-ed, press release or statement, blog post, talking points/messaging, and/or a press story that you successfully pitched, etc.).
Please note that we may not be able to send a response directly to everyone who applies. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
Groundwork Collaborative is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-31